Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Why are there horizontal lines randomly showing up on my screen?

I bought my MBP back in 2012 and I haven't had any problems since. However, this past week has been really trouble some as it didn't want to turn on at all at the beginning of the week (this was fixed by unplugging and plugging back the battery connector).

Last night I was using my laptop and all of the sudden weird horizontal green lines appeared on my screen (photo 1) after I had carried it from one place to another. I had to press and hold the power button to restart the laptop as the computer was not responding to my finger on the trackpad.

Later on last night I was carrying it again and I noticed that when I held it on the left side (photo 2) the screen started doing that funky thing with the lines. So I restarted it again.

Now I am avoiding holding the laptop on that side, but anybody have any idea what is the problem and how can I fix it?

Please note that I do not have Apple Care.

I've tried resetting my PRAM as I did some extensive research regarding the matter...but it didn't seem to resolve the problem.

UPDATE: It seems as if it doesn't matter how I hold the laptop -- If I hold the laptop with a single hand on the left/middle the lines appear and it freezes my laptop... ALSO the lines done appear the same all the time but they are always horizontal...

Most Helpful Answer

sashasmaili, the very first thing you want to do is to connect an external monitor. Should this show the same issues then you know that you have GPU problems. This could be repaired by either having a professional reball or at least a reflow done. If your external monitor is okay, then you know that you are having LCD issues and you should consider replacing the LCD. Hope this helps, good luck.

Oldturkey03, thank you for your advice -- sadly I didn't have an external monitor to connect it to in order to test. Hence I took it to a tech he automatically assumed that it was the graphics card but he soon realized that that was not the case. He opened up the laptop and checked for any loose connections, but with no luck. There was this foam like thing that was pretty much falling apart on the back lid which laid on top of the RAM, he said he had never seen a model with that foam there (he then realized I had an US model and not a local model (Thai)) he decided to take off the foam as it was falling apart anyways. He then tested to see if the problem had been solved, and sure enough I haven't had any problems since. Funny how something so minor that has been there all along (he actually thought I put it there) could create trouble after over two years. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hopefully nothing bad happens anytime soon.

It looks to me like a gpu (graphics processing unit) error, In some macs this does happen and we have had many macs thought our doors with this error, the only way to fix this error is to remove the gpu and re-ball.

the error is normally caused by excessive heat but can just happen for no reason at all.

I'm not sure where you are located but we are located in the uk.

You have 2 options to get this error fixed:

option 1 - find a logic board specials and and tell them you need the gpu removing, re-balling and fixing back to the logicboard.

option 2 - book a genius bar appointment and let apple get it repaired or replaced.

option 2 will be by far more expensive.

This is a GPU issue. Apple are now repairing all MBPs that have this problem. Book an appointment in the Genius Bar. I had the same issue with a MBP2011 and they fully replaced the entire thing for free!

i hv the easiest methd fr u , it may wrk , it did fr me :

go to display, color, colour lcd n press calibrate

when it cms to the setup presss continue till target white point , there change it too 9300 even though the screen is a bit diff and this is possibly a temporary fix just try it it worked for me!

Brilliant worked for me too

sashasmaili will be eternally grateful.