Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

Refrigerator isn't cold in fridge or freezer

Hey, need some help on my fridge. I have an old fridge that is a side by side Frigidaire. I noticed the other day when I open both the fridge and freezer that it wasn't cold anymore. So now its hot in both the fridge and freezer, I already clean and vacuum the back part of dust. Does anyone might know what the problem is? I have not vacuum the bottom front behind the kick panel, but I looked in that area and didn't see any dust down there. Need help please Chris

I have an LG LMX-28988ST refrigerator, two years old. The air flow from one vent is very poor or hardly blowing (right side). The other one on the back wall of the refrigerator is blowing normaly. Also the two vents on the side wall are blowing mornaly( left side). In general the setting for the refrigerator is set at 34 degrees the lowest but the temperature in the refrigerator is 41 degrees on the left side of the refri. and 47 on the right of the refri. I cleaned the coils in the back of the refri., but still it is not cooling enough. Food is getting spoiled. Please help with any sugestions. Thank you.

Read my answer below.

My refrigerator is not getting cold or the freezer what how to get my refrigerator in my freezer to get

My Frigidaire side by side freezer is cold but not freezing an refrigerator part isn't even getting cold at all.... Can you please help me out with what might be causing this problem... thanks so much

Took Mayer's advice, cleaned a bunch of lose dirt around it, also check the condenser coil in my freezer which was full of ice, and making the compressor very hot, turned off the refrigerator's power and I'm defrosting it, hope after that once all the ice melts away and gets cleaned, then will work ok, keeping my fingers crossed

Most Helpful Answer

Condenser Coils are Dirty

If the refrigerator is not cold enough the condenser coils may be dirty. The condenser is like a radiator and must stay clean in order to dissipate the heat which was removed from the inside of the refrigerator. As the coils get dirtier the refrigerator becomes less efficient, which makes it work harder to cool down. If the coils are dirty enough, the unit will never be cold enough and will not be able to cool the inside of the refrigerator to the proper temperature.

Evaporator Fan Motor

If the refrigerator is not cold enough, the evaporator fan motor might have failed. Every refrigerator has a set of coils called an evaporator. The refrigerator may have one or more evaporator fan motor(s) depending on the model and evaporator locations. The evaporator fan motor circulates the cold air from the coils thru the compartment. If there is only one evaporator it is in the freezer side. If the fan is not working, no cold air will get to the refrigerator compartment. The freezer may still get cold.

Condenser Fan Motor

If the refrigerator is not cold enough there might be something caught in the condenser fan motor blade, or the condenser fan motor might be defective. The condenser fan motor draws air over the condenser coils to cool them. The condenser fan motor is located underneath the refrigerator near the back. Pull the refrigerator out from the wall and remove the access panel to access it.

Start Relay

If the refrigerator is not cold enough, the start relay may be defective. The start relay is a small device mounted to the side of the compressor. It provides power to the run winding along with the start winding for a split second at start-up to help get the compressor started. If the start relay is defective the compressor may run intermittently or not at all and the refrigerator will not get cold enough. The start relay should be replaced if defective.

Temperature Control Thermostat

If the refrigerator does not get cold enough the temperature control thermostat might be defective. The thermostat allows power to flow through to the compressor, evaporator fan and condenser fan. If the cooling system fans and compressor are running, but the refrigerator or freezer is not cooling correctly check for an airflow or defrost system problem.

Start Capacitor

If the refrigerator isn't cold enough the compressor might be having difficulty starting. The start capacitor serves as a battery to give the compressor a little boost during start-up. If the start capacitor is burned out the compressor might not be able to start and run as often as it should. Test the start capacitor first with a capacitance meter, they don't fail often. If it's defective, replace it.

Thermistor

If the refrigerator is not cold enough the thermistor might be defective. The thermistor is a sensor which monitors the air temperature. It is connected to the control board. If the thermistor is defective the refrigerator does not cool or may cool continuously.

Temperature Control Board

If the refrigerator is not cold enough the temperature control board might be defective. The temperature control board provides the voltage to the fan motors and compressor. These boards are often misdiagnosed. Check all other components to be certain this is the cause of the problem.

Compressor

If the refrigerator is not cold enough, the compressor might be defective. The compressor is a motor which compresses the refrigerant and circulates the refrigerant through the evaporator and condenser coils. There are several other components which are more likely to be defective if the compressor doesn't work. If the compressor itself is defective a licensed professional will need to replace it.

Main Control Board

If the refrigerator is not cold enough the main control board might be defective. This is not common. Check the defrost system, cooling fans, and cooling controls first.

Thanks Chris

Sorry Meant Thanks Mayer, and Chris.

Great answer. I just need to find all those components.

Chris will be eternally grateful.