0

Mark Richardson
11

Vibrate button replacement final step

Ok at the last photo you show pulling back the vibrate button still attached to an orange cable. How is it attached? Is it plugged into the cable and I use a spudger to pry it off? My iPhone works fine except the button is broken, amiss. This will be a no caffeine operation!

Ok to clarify: if the button on my phone does not operate properly I need to replace the entire headphone jack assembly. I just ordered a replacement button that ifixit.com listed under iPhone parts wrongly assuming I could simply replace the button; odd to offer it in the Parts section as it now seems worthless. Thanks for the clarification, I'll review the Guide again before attempting repairs. MR

Mark Richardson,

it depends on the damage, if a soldering is broken, then you have a little chance to get it fixed without the complete assembly. if you're done and the answer was correct, don't forget to accept it - so it will changed to the resolved tab and others can find it easily.

markus weiher,

Thanks for the response. I will definitely verify the connection. You still are saving me money and an iPhone!

Mark Richardson,

you're welcome

markus weiher,

1

markus weiher

as you can see on the picture - the "button" is a switch (the green one on the bottom) to fix it, you have to replace the whole headphone jack assembly

you will need the headphone jack assembly, a phillips 00 screwdriver, a small suction cap and a spudger

(the colored texts are links to the parts)

iPhone 3G/3GS Headphone Jack Assembly

Does not include vibrator, backing, or switch covers/assemblies. — 16 available at 14.95 each.

Spudger

Tough antistatic tool used for working on electronic devices and doing DIY electronic repair. It's an essential tool for everything from repairing a broken smartphone or tablet screen to replacing an old battery or hard drive. Tough (and heat resistant) e — 50+ available at 2.95 each.

Phillips #00 Screwdriver

Standard Phillips screwdriver used to take apart laptops. Swivel top handle with precision tip driver. — 50+ available at 8.95 each.

Small Suction Cup

40 mm diameter suction cup is a necessary tool for opening iPhones, tablets, and other devices. — 50+ available at 2.95 each.

Edited by: iRobot ( ) , markus weiher ( )

0

Mark Richardson
11

I dug more online and learned the plastic button sits on top of the actual switch you are referring to and it is attached to the cable. So I am waiting on my iFixit order of a new button and a few tools to disassemble my phone and see if the button is gunked up, broken, dislodged. etc and hopefully won't have to replace the headphone jack assembly.