Nintendo handheld device released February 2011, identified by model number CTR-001.

Stuck on Sleep Mode and Frozen on Home Menu

After about 2 months of not being used, my son opened his Nintendo 3DS and it goes to the Sleep Mode screen. It gives you the option to power off or go to Home Menu and that is where it freezes. Once you're on Home Menu, you can't go any further. It just says 'Home Menu'. I've tried taking out battery and reformatting sd card. I've tried turning on and off the console. Can't go any further. Seems like something so simple but yet so expensive to get fixed. Any suggestions before I'm another $60 in the hole on top of all of the games and the cost of the console?

P.S. I've spent countless days researching this online so I have done my homework for the most part.

Most Helpful Answer

The 3ds sleep function is activated when a speaker (containing a magnet) comes in contact with a spot on the mother board when the top-screen folds down. This happen at about the B button. You can mimic the sleep feature waving a regular kitchen magnet over the area surrounding the B button. This triggers the sleep feature. Therefore, some component of the mother board is responsible for the sleep feature. Has anyone figure out which component of the mother board is responsible for sleep and see if anyone had figured out to re-solder or bypass it.

I've featured it out when placing my new 3ds xl on the ipad's magnet cover. It's triggered into sleep mode... Phew, now I know that someone has the same issue... Not just my 3ds.

Thanks.

This is most likely the Problem with my 3Ds because I have tried many different ways, But is there a link to a you tube video or a way to fix this problem?

It is the chip with 3 legs to the right of the b button

Hey I know this is old but I recently had the same problem. I managed to fix it by turning the 3DS off completely, taking out the SD card, and turning it on again with no SD card inserted. It booted up normally and I simply reinserted the SD card again. Everything is working just fine now.

Hi Nyx, thanks for the helpful advice. I will try that this morning since I still have it sitting in my office. Hopefully it works. I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Hey Lisa, after talking to a few of my friends who have had similar issues we've come up with something else you can try.

My friend had an issue where it prompted her to update and she did but once it restarted it sat on the blank screen. After a few days she decided to see if it was an SD issue or a system issue so she put the SD into her sisters 3DS and it booted up fine and prompted her to update again so she did. After that it worked perfectly in both systems so I believe it just never fully finished updating the first time, if you have another system lying around or he has a friend with a 3DS it may be worth giving that a try as well.

Did you try unplugging the battery from the logic board and then reconnecting it?

Hi Robert and Baconface and thank for answering. Yes, I have taken out the battery multiple times. I even read on a forum to take out the Wifi card and reconnect it, did that too but still the same. Baconface, those were some of my first steps when I realized it was stuck in sleep mode. Nothing seems to work. I did read over many forums and tried to get some ideas but no solution. Some people just decided to buy another one. I figured there has to be a more simple way or a piece to repair that I could find on here.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Did you try a battery replacement? I believe that some of these issues could be caused by a bad battery. Especially since it was not used in two months.

When that happens to my Nintendo 3DS I press and hold the power button until it turns off.Then I wait some seconds and press the power button. Then it turns on and boots up and is fine. That procedure should work for other Nintendo 3DS systems.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have the exact same problem you...

If you found a solution, please, share, since I am still searching... I opened 3ds up, took wi-fi card off, tried to force update the system with the L,R,A, Up trick... Nothing worked...

In the end, stil have the 3ds stuck the same way yours...

HI Rodrigo, Unfortunately, the 3DS still sits broken. Seems like the only thing left is to send it back to Nintendo for an $80 (approx) charge. A friend of mine said the same thing happened to her son's 3ds. She bought a used one for the same price andn that broke shortly afterwards so they are stuck with two unusable 3ds's. Good luck on your search. If you do find something that works, please come back and let me know.

Make sure your 3DS is off when you try to force the update system. Press L, R, A, Up and then turn it on. It works for me.

I did the L,R, A and up thing while powering on the ds and now it opens to a calibration page and then when 'i finish the calibration it shut off. I though i fix it, but no :( but I got something else out of it.... I'm not quitting yet...

HEY THERE. I had the same problem and I was freaking out because it was 3 days old. I heard to take off the screen protector so I tried it. At first nothing happened but I left it on for a while and now everything is back to normal. Hope I helped.

I'm having a problem with mine as well. I was using the internet on the 3DS, and just when I was done using it, I try going back to the 3DS menu, and it freezes at Home Menu. I tried turning off the 3DS and nothing is happening. It's been stuck in that screen for 15 minutes.

Cesar,

I have the EXACT same problem, did everything you guys said. If you come up with a solution don't hesitate to tell me PLEASE.

I have had this problem for awhile I have tried everything looked at videos and everything I can't figure it out and I can't send it in to the Nintendo to get it fixed! Plz help!

I have the exact problem but with my 2ds. so I am not sure about the magnetic thing since i can't fold it. I have to slide a button to put it on sleep mode and this doesn't help me.

as for the battery, this is a relatively new 2ds (a few months old) so I don't think this is the battery either. I also tried everything people said on this article

Dammit I have had exactly the same issue. Permanent orange light and black screen freezing on HOME when selected instead of powering down. I took the thing apart and messed around with wifi cards and so on to no avail. I held down combinations of buttons and restarted and installed system updates to no avail. I scoured the web for help to no avail - YouTube is full of people making videos either asking for help and demonstrating the same issue, or showing how to take the thing apart and wiggle the WIFI card to fix it. The fact is the unit was dropped (not dramatically, just from child height, while on, on to a carpeted floor) and it behaved like this thereafter, so something is amiss inside.

Ultimately I ended up sending it to Nintendo to be fixed. Defeated.

Lisa will be eternally grateful.