The original Xbox is Microsoft's first widely popular video gaming system. It has an easily identifiable black case with 'XBOX' emblazoned on the top and front. Repair is easy with common tools.

Xbox wont turn on?

My original Xbox has been sitting in a cabinet and is in like-new condition. It worked perfectly until one day when it wouldn't turn on. I thought it might be the power cable because I've read that the original cables can be faulty/were recalled. So I bought the new power cable but this still didn't work. The console doesn't make any noise or anything when I press the power button. It acts as if it is getting no power. Anyone know what's wrong?

Hello, Im new to this forum but was brought in by a search because I too have the same problem, my X-Box was working when I believe due to a power out it no longer turned on, this was within days of each other, I read that it most likely be the power supply, I have ordered an original V.6 replaced it and still doest turn on, Now I read that it could be the Mother board, Is this possible and if so, I know that if I need to order one it would come with a new or other HD because the current one will not work with the new motherboard, my question with this is, once the new MB & HD are installed, It would be as if a never used X-Box, oviously no stored memory.. Would this be my best bet to get it going or are there some things i can look for on the current MB that i may be able to fix?

I have this current issue. This week, after 15 ½ years, my Xbox won't power on anymore. It stopped working today. Prior to today, for weeks, I have to hold on the power button for a few minutes to boost up the system. It used to be in perfect shape from December 25th, 2004-May 26th, 2016, until I bump to this issue. I have to hold the button to power on the system and it works. On June 28th, 2016, it won't power on (I hold the power button for 15 minutes and it still won't power on) and today, July 2nd, it stopped working. My dad said the power button got bad (a YouTuber claims the wires got loose). Is there a way to fix this problem? I can turn it in to a repair shop that repairs video game consoles or buy a new one so I can switch the hard drives (I do not want to start my games I still own from 2004-present all over again on a different hard drive). I need to know the problem why it won't work.

My Xbox has a mind of its own.it keeps cutting out after I plug it in and I do this a few times.sometimes it comes on after a few trys but it's getting very frustrating for it not to turn on straight away can someone please help I'm going insane

Most Helpful Answer

You need to open the system, check if the power supply is a foxlink. Foxlink power supplies have a bad solder job and you need to resolder the power plug so it will work again. (Reason being is because you have stated that the cord has been replaced, so therefore internal issue)

To Open the Xbox console, you will need a couple of special tools. You will need a TORX T-10 screwdriver and a Torx T-20 screwdriver. The XBOX case has 6 T-20 screws and to remove the hard drive and DVD drive, you will need to remove 3 torx T-10 screws. The power supply is held down by 2 torx T-10 screws.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/power...

The link above explains how to fix the issue.

If this has helped please vote the answer and accept it. Many thanks and all the best

I have my xbox gutted and the power supply removed. All the soldering contacts look fine. Any other ideas on what might be wrong?

All of the capacitors look fine too.

I got my Xbox to turn on by using a paperclip to bridge the gap between the white and brown pins on the power supply connector as seen here: http://diy.sickmods.net/Tutorials/Xbox1/... The problem now is that it turns on but will not boot because the ring turns solid orange and the system doesn't boot or output video or sound.

I am having the same issue.. What are some places that I can ship my XBOX to for them to repair the system.. Does anyone know if you give me some places I will search for them online and call them..

I have the same problem, the symptoms your Xbox is having sounds like a burnt fuse. If that is the case,fuses are usually about .10$.(extremely cheap) I don't know how to gain access to the fuse though...It's probably on the power supply board.

Most likely all, but the 1.6 version, Xbox's clock capacitor has leaked electrolyte onto the motherboard and done damage to the motherboard. The electrolyte needs to be cleaned first with vinegar then again with isopropyl alcohol. Most likely on the bottom side of the motherboard some of the traces along the edge that carry the power and eject control signals have been corroded and need to be repaired. Trace repair tutorial for v1.0-v1.5 sytems - http://theisozone.com/tutorials/xbox/har...

I bought it yesterday and it was successfully works and the next suddently it wont turn on and i tried to to uses the same power cable but it still doesnt work so i bought a new cable and it still doesnt work too.

David will be eternally grateful.