Laptop black screen on startup

When using my Toshiba laptop the screen went black for a few seconds, came back, the went black again permanently. I turned it off but when I turn it back on the Toshiba loud up screen comes on but the screen again goes black afterwards.

The solution of, 'turn it off, plug it out, take the battery out and hold the power button for a minutes', DOES NOT WORK!

I can start the laptop up in safe mode but I don't know how to troubleshoot the problem.

I have no problem in restoring the laptop but I can't afford to lose Microsoft Office.

The laptop operates on Windows 8.1 and I was using Chrome, Excel and Drivermax when it crashed. I thought Drivermax was the problem so I deleted the latest driver download from it and uninstalled Drivermax altogether but it didn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cathal Kennedy, since your display works in safe mode, it is not a hardware problem. when in safe mode, check your display settings and let us know what it shows. also, I suggest to connect an external monitor and see if that shows the display. Consider a system Restore in safe mode to role back any recent changes. You could also try to disable the service and startup items and see if that brings your display up.

Hold the Windows key and press 'R' to open the run box.

Type "msconfig" in field.

Press ENTER.

In the "System Configuration Utility" window, choose "Selective Startup" on the "General" tab.

Uncheck "Load Startup Items."

Click the "Services" tab.

Check "Hide All Microsoft Services."

Click "Disable All."

Press "OK."

Restart the computer and see if Windows loads normally.

Let us know what you get. Hope this helps, good luck.

Cathal Kennedy will be eternally grateful.