The GameCube is Nintendo's fourth console gaming system. Repair is simple and requires only common tools.

Disc not spinning in GameCube

Hi, my console is showing a NO disc error, i found that the laser works but the disc is not spinning.

I've seen this before on some devices, usually it is a burnt out drive motor. but to be sure when you power up listen to see if you can hear the drive, since it will stop spinning when you open the cover.

Most Helpful Answer

I found an old Gamecube at a second-hand store going really cheap. The catch was, the disc would spin up, and then stop again (with no disc message/indication).

If the drive detects no disc, it won't spin the motor. So if your laser is dying, and it cant see anything, it wont spin the disc.

So it is possible that the laser is dying/almost dead, but there ARE guides out there that may help with this; just google "gamecube laser calibration" and hit the first link.

Indeed, I had the same problem with my GameCube. The laser module died, but the spindle motor and laser carriage worm drive motor were both fine, as I could hear it both spinning briefly and trying to seek, but finding nothing. Maybe your lens is just really dirty? Try cleaning it with alcohol.

There is a switch near the disc drive, and you need to make sure that the switch is turned on, and that causes the disc to spin. It needs to be held down, and usually it is but maybe something fell off, so try to open the GC and see if the switch is held.

Davidmejia will be eternally grateful.