iPhone 4S Repair

Fifth generation of iPhone. Repair of this device is straightforward, and requires screwdrivers, prying tools, and patience. GSM/CDMA / 16, 32, or 64 GB / Black or White.

My iPhone 4s doesn't detect any wifi

First please forget my english, I'm french

My problem is that my iphone 4s doesn't find any wifi

I've tried things like :

- reset the network and wifi

- opened it and saw if the antenna was connected (it was)

- bought a new wifi and bluetooth antenna and changed the old one.. But it doesn't work so far..

I've no more idea.. Please it would be kind if someone could tell me what can I do to fix my problem

(NB : I've never given my iphone for repair nor opened it before my actual wifi failure )

Check out your device name. Make sure it does not have anything with an apostrophe. This version of the OS is know to have issue's with that. You could also try a complete restore, not from backup and see what happens. Did you check the logic board to make sure there are no missing components:-)?

by oldturkey03

Hi oldturkey03, thanks for answering me. I checked my device name it hasn't got any apostrophe and also tried a complete restore but it didn't worked so far.. For the logic board i don't know that much to see if there are missing components... But honestly I don't think so because my iphone add never been opened before this wifi problem. Thanks :D

by jacques

Hi Jacques Any update on your Wifi connection? I have the same pb as you: Wifi is searching for networks but nothing... I just bought a new antenna and changed it but no luck Nicolas

by nicolasflores

Mine has the same issues, but my family members all have 4s phones and THEIRS is fine. Also, my three computers are fine and countless other items. I tried all above and I'm actually pretty tech-savvy. But what gives all of a sudden?

by CeeBee

there are several guys around the internet that say that putting the iphone in a freezer for 10-15 minutes would solve the problem. temporarily or for good? i don't know. maybe you already tried this.

by mihairosian

Another trick to try is to power off your iphone and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour. Then take it out and power it back on and see if wifi works. I had my brother do this with his iphone 4s one time and the crazy thing is it fixed his wifi issues.

Hi computeripodrepair, Thank you so much ! I've tried your trick to put my phone in the freezer and that worked !!!! Thanks again, wish you a good day :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

by jacques

this worked but after about 2 days it stopped connecting to internet again

by russell

i dont know if this theroy is correct but i think that something in the phone have got loose since low tempreture make matter contract......

by 1176690600

Ok The freezer trick worked for me and my Iphone 4s.

Wifi button was not greyed out but when turned on the wifi would search for like a second or two and find nothing. Also no wifi icon on main screen.

20 mins in the freezer at -18c brought it out and no power, connect to charger and wait for phone to start up and wifi now working again

Obviously this is more of a workaround than a fix but will wait and see how long it lasts.

Incidentally I too changed the wifi antenna on the top right hand side of the main board first as I thought it may have been faulty but obviously this is somthing else

noth working your trick ... and grayed out again my wifi ...

by zack

Hey Jacques,

I was surprised that your phone didn't detect any wifi even after all of that. Then I found this and figured that your phone's wifi chip might have died soon after you upgraded to iOS 7. I can only confirm this if you are using iOS 7. If that is not the case, then you should try using wifi with airplane mode on or turn of cellular data.

-You aren't the only one with this problem. Take a look at this link:

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/iost-b...

-Hope this helped.

Hi Mr Apple, Thanks for answering me, you're right I did upgrade my iphone to iOS 7 :/ But the internet page that was on the link that you gave me says "are unable to use Wi-Fi on their iPhone 4S after upgrading to iOS 7.0.3, as the option is greyed out..." the thing is that the wifi isn't "greyed out"... you can look a pic on this link what's my problem : https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/11526... Thanks

by jacques

Freezing iphone 4s for around 30 minutes fixed my wifi detection problem. I thought it was a hoax. Hope this works perfectly. Thanks!

Is the wifi working up to this date?

by Erick Jean

yes. still works :)

Same thing here, what did you do? Just sold mine 1week ago and got a call last night telling me wifi dosent work anymore wifi button is green but no wifi in the wifi list .. I think i will give her back her money.. ! -_- please help :/

Si vous pouvez repondre en francais je suis tout oui haha :P

i Want fix my grayed Wifi and Wifi only search on my Iphon 4s , i tryed all tricks , but when the trick work after 1 day or 2 my iphone will back to "Wifi Grayed or only searching for Wifi" ... Help please...

My 4S also was unable to detect wifi networks. I heated my phone with a hairdryer and the wifi settings open and at a certain point networks were detected. I thought I was fixed but the next morning wifi was gone again. So I did the same thing but this time after networks were detected I did a hard reset (power and home buttons together) and this seems to have done the trick. I think that whatever heat does to reset the wifi chip, it's probably overkill and possibly damaging to the phone to heat it beyond this point (i.e. till it shuts down). Likewise, the rapid expansion and contraction caused by heating it and putting it in the freezer seems likely to cause connection problems inside the phone, due to damaging solder joints.

Heating or Cooling in a freezer works to solve the problem temporarily. But it can come back if you switch to another Wifi Area. You can give a try by changing your iphone name to something unique. like "iphone_yourname_code". Dont let it be just "iphone". Good Luck!

by Raan

Has worked putting it in the freezer ,great tip thanks

oh? seriously? how? my wifi won't work. any other alternative? thanksss.

Miracle! The same problem. I put it in the freezer for 30 minutes and is working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much.

I created this account just so that I could thank you for this solution. After 1 hour in the freezer, the iPhone 4s worked. This is the second time that I am doing a crazy work-around, the first time I got advice to drop my sony camera on the carpet because the shutter would not operate and after two drops it did. Oh science!

I have blow dried my phone a few times and it has worked but a few days ago my wifi stopped the wifi button isn't grayed out but when I go to wifi in settings no networks come up.?

Heat the phone at speaker end with hairdryer till message comes up for overheating,power down,put in fridge for 15 min to cool.power up and all should work. It did for me.

There is a guide here to fix a greyed out WIFI and searching problem. Basically you have to reflow the wifi IC with a heat gun but you have to be very careful not to destroy the surrounding modules. I did it by covering everything surrounding the wifi IC with thermal grease. It worked for me

jacques will be eternally grateful.