Dell Inspiron 531s desktop computer.

Computer wont start it just beeps

When I try to start my computer all does is beep. Nothing shows on the screen. What is going on with my computer? The screen is completely black.

What can I do to fix this problem

Most Helpful Answer

If you've had this computer for a while now, I would open up the case and clear out and dust or debris that might have collected resulting in overheating your computer due to ineffective air flow from the fans. If that doesn't work, you can try these next steps:

1.Power off and unplug

2.Press/hold power button for ~15 sec

3.Open case and remove motherboard battery

4.Press/hold power button for ~30 sec

5.Reinstall battery (right-side-up!)*

6.See if it boots with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected

If that doesn't work, you can check out the Dell support page that describes what your beeps and lights may be telling you as well as the troubleshooting for each step.

http://support.dell.com/support/systemsi...

If you have any further questions please ask

~Gadget~

Your memory sticks have gotten a little dust in them making them lose good contact. I had same thing with my dell laptop when I upgraded my memory sticks

The beeping will stop once you remove the memory sticks clean with compressed can of air .Nest if you goggle how to clean memory sticks. So you know mess it up.

Open it up...change the round "cmos" battery. I just performed this repair on my 531.

Shenece will be eternally grateful.