0

toddfletcher
1

Dual Drive Adaptor, drive not recognized

I have installed a second drive into my MCP. However the drive does not appear in the Disk Utility. I do see two Serial-ATA devices in the System Preferences. One is the main HD. The other does not display a drive like the main one does.

Does this need a special driver install? Or what else may cause this?

Thank you in advance!

Is the new drive backward compatible to Int. HD Interface: Serial ATA (3 Gb/s)

mayer,

Not sure how to know that. It is a: Wester Digital Travelstar 1TB, 7200rpm, 32mb/cache, 2.5 inch SATA (6GB/s)

toddfletcher,

I figured out my problem. The cable was torn. I ordered a new on, and it works great. - I also put the drive in an external case and plugged it into my Mac Pro. It came up in disk utility, so I formatted it. After getting the replacement cable, I put it into my laptop and it appeared fine. I did have to re partition it to get rid of the permission issue. But it is running fine now. I guess the system only uses 3/gb of the speed even though it is 6/gb. *shurgs* -Thanks for the replies!

toddfletcher,

Happy to hear it was the cable. Still you will encounter problems with the SATA speed mismatch when moving large number of files and/or large sized files. What happens here is the HD & CPU will be going through many retries as the CRC will have failed during the copy of the file/s. Often we see this with fresh drives who just have gotten the OS installed with the indexer task running heavy. In your case you didn't install an OS on to the volume so it appears AOK now. You'll know this is the issue when your systems fan kicks into high gear when moving files or playing a movie. I strongly recommend you download a good fan & temp monitoring app like this one Temperature Gauge Pro and watch your temps. Better yet make sure the drive can run at 3.0 Gb/s (check the drives spec sheet).

Dan,

Select the answer that best answered your question please remember to rate (score) and mark it accepted.

Dan,

1

Dan
91k

Todd - I think your drive is too fast for the systems SATA port. You state the drive is SATA III (6.0 Gb/s), but your system can only handle SATA II (3.0 Gb/s). See if it offers a jumper to slow it down otherwise you'll need a different drive.

Thank for your reply. I figured out the issue. You can see my last comment to see what happened.

toddfletcher,

1

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

First run this update: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237?viewl...

You may run into more issues with the hard drive cable. If you are running 10.8 or better, put the old HD into the optical bay position and see if it will boot. Then put the new drive in the hard drive bay. Start up holding down the "R" key and see if you can run Disk Utilities to format the new drive. Let me know your results as I may have other suggestions.

toddfletcher,