Second generation of iPhone. Model A1241 / 8 or 16 GB capacity / black or white plastic back. Repair is more straightforward than the first iPhone. requires screwdrivers, prying, and suction tools.

Ribbon 3 / FPC Connector broken?

Hi everyone,

I think I just messed up a part of my iPhone 3G.

I tried to replace the battery (which worked) but there is a problem with ribbon 3 and its connector.

It looks excatly like this now:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/272984/iPhone_br...

The whole connector crumbled away (whit part); I still have the black part (which is normally flipping), but not attached yet.

So, the internal ear-speaker and the proximity and light-sensors are not working.

The problem: Whats the broken part? Do I have to remove the FPC Connector or just the cable / ribbon 3? And how to do this? I already found cable and the connector on eBay, but I have not idea how to attach it. Do I have to solder it?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

I can repair this. You have to remove the old connector and solder on a new one. I have the repair detailed on my blog.

Great work Hector! you sure know what you're doing

Thanks ED209,

To address the post above, please do NOT use super glue. I can tell you why... IT IS A NIGHTMARE to fix if you do. Pics of said nightmare in my blog

http://hectordtruong.blogspot.com/

good post :)

Most Helpful Answer

so hector you are god, read your post, did not say anything about how to solve this problem other than send the phone to you. REALLY! so only you can fix it and of course you will make sure no one else knows how so you can make own this problem and make good profit out it.

Glad we have such a nice tech as you. thanks so much for share ill make sure send you a picture when am done fixing mine. who knows maybe tomorrow I can start bragging just like you.

Thanks for the push

PAtx

I dont put up a how to because Ive seen way too many phones screwed up by people trying to do it themselves. if youre able to do it yourself then more power to you. you can then make a guide yourself then.

completely agree with Chris, I understood the trick about the glue is just to keep the ribbon and the port making contact, again this is just a trick.

Thanks for explain it for our supertech.

O as a note I just finish fixing mine today, it was a pain in the A's but after purchase the replacement part on ebay for $4.50 and get a really good magnified glass I was able to weld the new port to the board. This is a really complicate job and it takes time.

If you decide to do it I will recommend start with the right side corner pin and then do the opposite left side so the port sinks on the boar in a even way.

Good luck hector. cheers

Martin Weber will be eternally grateful.