Repair guides and support for the 5th generation Honda Accord coupe, sedan, and wagon.

1997 Honda Accord EX wont start

Drove my Honda accord 1997 to the store when I tried to start the car it was dead. Checked the battery checked the starter both are OK cars lights go on but it doesn't turn over or start please help

Roy Urena "but it doesn't turn over or start please help" how did you check the starter?

How to determine if it is a gas pump issue .. It cranks but no start 5speed

I have a 97 honda accord and am having serious issues with this car. It starts up and then it'll cut off while im driving. Then it will either crank right up or might take a while. But today i got in to crank it up and sounds like something broke. Now it sounds like a hushing noise or vacuum. Did i just break my car?! Someone please help. I have a new battery, starter, spark plugs, and solenoid.

I'm having exact same issues

I need an answer

Most Helpful Answer

Same thing happened to my 97 accord a few weeks ago. I replaced the starter and the battery under warranty. Everything pointed to the starter being bad. Turns out just by luck I started looking around the engine compartment and at a glance I happened to see that the negative battery cable had broken in 2 where it connects to the transmission. This stopped the starter from working but allowed everything else in the car to still function. If this is your problem it will be very cheap to fix. Go to a parts store get a 2 foot battery cable and replace it. Although the one I got at pep boys had a smaller Guage wire for the chassis ground. So I'll be getting one from honda for piece of mind.

I have replaced distributor,ignition coil, crankshaft pos,sensor,fuel regulator & filter.Vehicle starts & stops immedieatly.Need help.

Does it start and then shut off when you let go of the key? If that's the case then you probably need the electronic part of the ignition switch, not the key part. Or just throwing it out there. Are you sure that you clocked the distributor correctly? It can be installed 180° out.

My honda was sent to a mechanic they said they can't find the problem but it will crank but don't start I need to no what's wrong with my 1999 honda accord ex coupe

I recently had several of the 97 Honda Accord starting problems discussed above including quotes of several hundreds of dollars to replace many parts of the electrical, starter and ignition systems it was a very frustrating experience that had a very simple answer. I changed my keys to the second backup key that I had never used and to my amazement all the startup problems went away. In discussions with a key locksmith he pointed out that Honda makes its keys out of a soft Aluminum alloys and the ignition key mechanism is a case hard steel, over time the steel wears down the soft key and slight misalignments with the key develop that result in multiple confusing startup problems. Immediately upon this discovery, I had the locksmith make me several copies of my never before used backup key, all of which work great. The result was a cost of $25 for the new duplicate keys, compared to the estimates that I had received for hundreds of dollars potential cost for major repairs. Try my solution, I hope it works for you !

We had this problem today, and tried with our spare key, and the car started! It took a couple of turns but then it got going. Thanks!

Erica

First remove distributor cap have someone turn engine over if rotor doesn't spin it's the timing belt.If it does chances are it's the igniter in distributor(these cars are known for it)Its cheaper to replace with complete after market distributor than just Honda igniter.Easy fix,with cap removed

remove two bolts retaining dist.note which direction rotor is facing replace with rotor in same orientation when installing new dist .Also check electrical plug count the pins so you get the correct distributor (I believe they can be either 8 or 12 pin )9 outta 10 times this is the culprit! Lookin around 100 bucks https://www.rockauto.com/

Is it a automatic or 5spd.?

If it's a 5spd. It could be the clutch start safety switch. It's located on the clutch if you look down in the floorboard with a flashlight push the clutch in with one hand while looking to see if the switch depresses all the way in. Try putting it in neutral with the E-Brake on. With one hand or foot press the clutch hard and start the car at the same time if no, use your hand so you can see it actually touching the circuit.

If it's a automatic here the list to check off to lead you to the problem.

1.) are you possibly out of gas?

2.) with it quiet, turn the key to the on position, listen for a humming sound, if you don't hear that it might be your fuel pump the humm will be coming from the rear flip the key to position 2. And it will be a quiet humm for about 2seconds. If you hear a humm go to next.

3.) pull a spark plug wire off and lay it against metal have someone crank the car, if you see a spark move on, it's not that

4.) so, at this point, just so you understand what your trying to achieve. With a car, you need A,) spark, B.) timing C.) Fuel , & fuel pressure. D) water to keep it cool

Unplug your negative battery terminal, 30 sec. Plug it back up and try it.

5.) Check all of your fuses, there's 2 fuse boxes 1 under the hood, 2.) inside either on the kick panel to the left of the clutch, maybe under the steering wheel or behind the glove box.

6.) does the motor sound any different when trying to crank it? Maybe like its turning faster check for a missing belt

Turn the key nothing happens this morning I put water in the radiator now nothing happens when I trun the key

I hope by now you have it fixed, however most likely the starter is going bad and has become stuck. A short term remedy to get you home in this situation would be to get someone to try and start the car while you take the handle of something and strike the starter motor.

I am not very familiar with honda,but sounds like it could be that the mass air sensor is bad or has a piece of debris on it, most cars run at startup for a few seconds then switch over to the computer and at this time if the computer thinks there is not any air coming into the engine it will cut the fuel, this sensor should be mounted in the air intake close to your air filter box.

My 1995 Honda Accord was doing the same thing, it ended up being my ECM module aka the computer for your car under the glove box, and I had that replaced and my car has been running perfect since.

My 97 Honda accord would also cut off while I was driving...turns out I had to replace the ignition switch. Works fine now

I've seen twice a honda accord that looked like a fuel pump problem turn out to be the ignition. They fall apart internally, you can generally get them to go ahead and start (or restart if it died while driving) by wiggling the keys a bit then try again

Roy Urena will be eternally grateful.