7.9 inch display iPad Mini, with 16, 32, or 64 GB of storage.

lightning connector tip broken and stuck in charge port

When removing the charge cable from my ipad mini, the tip of the lightning connector has snapped off inside the ipad charging port. Took it to Apple who cannot get it out and say they can only replace the whole ipad for £250! Surely there is a way of removing it without having to replace the ipad? Any suggestions

Ethan you are brilliant! I took a leap of faith and it worked. Thank you. The "genius" at Apple told me I'd have to buy another one as it couldn't be fixed. Thank you for your post.

Did not work still stuck

Honestly just took a pair of tweezers and pulled it straight out!

Where can I bring it for someone to pull it out for cheap and less money

This literally just happened to me with my iPhone. I just removed the case from the phone and used tweezers to pull it out. Then I got a new usb chord. Those only cost like $5-$10, or 3.66£-7.32£

I used a safety pin (bigger one, about 1.5"), and pushed the pointed pin at the side, pushing the latch that holds the connector on the side.

I just keep doing this on either side, and pull back again. One time after pushing it deep inside, when i pulled it, that side of the broken piece lifted up. So I knew it was possible.

kept doing this until one time the broken piece turned 90 deg. so then i was able to use a thin long nose and pull it out. The whole trial process took ~ 30 mins, with breaks in between. Good thing is since i did that on the sides only, the connector is still ok, and charging still. Just be patient. And yes, at times the pin would bend ...

good luck !

Followed this suggestion and it worked. Only took about 5 mins. What I found helpful was removing the white plastic in the middle with the pin first and then pushing the metal pins from the front and back into the middle. Seemed to make the broken connector looser and more easily removed.

Try this before going near the super glue method.

IT works the best

The very tip of the charger (metal piece that runs along the top) broke off and got stuck in my daughters iPhone. I tried this tip and within 10 minutes it was out! I didn't even know it was working until I saw that piece of metal poking out from the opening. Then it popped right out. Amazing! thank you so much for posting this!!

Brilliant! Thank you

Thanks for giving me the confidence to do this. I used a thumbtack and chiseled into the broken tip on both sides, wiggling back and forward and pushing deeper. Eventually, it popped out. I was shocked and relieved.

I succeeded! I made a 1 mm deep hole rotating by hand a 1.5mm drill bit, then I heated a pinhead and put it in the hole. The connector plastic melted just that little bit to hold the piece, so I could pull it out. No glue, no money. Next time no Apple.

OMG I freaked when it broke but I just used this tip and it totally worked...love you guys

Brilliant worked with seconds, happy mammy happy daughters thank you

How do I put it back together? Would I just have to get a new charger or could I glue it back together

Dude!! Totally works. Thumbtack back and forth pops right out!

This is actually very easy to take out with a regular sized pin. There are small latches on the side of the docking port that you have press on lightly repeatedly. You have to try bending the broken tip so that it will be rotated 90 degrees and then you will be able to take it out easier. One last tip is to never ever buy chargers that are not made by Apple. Those will break after a few weeks of using them. The Apple ones cost more but it is worth it. Hope this has helped anyone and good luck trying to get the charger out.

Agree on the cheap cables, it's just a pity Apple can't make thier prices a bit friendlier!

I performed the same approach as Fabio above: 1.5 mm drill bit, manually (carefully) drilled 1.5 to 2mm then I slowly pressed sideways (width) on the drill bit resting against the case. I then continued pressing sideways (width) until the broken part shifted, used a thin long nose to grap the part. I tried all the other tricks with needles but that did not work for me.

I did manage to get the broken piece out with with a needle. I lightly tapped it into to the middle of the broken piece with a hammer, then used pliers to pull the needle out which loosened the connector and with a bitt of wiggling around it came out. Unfortunately the dock is now damaged, as tried a new cable in it, but doesn't connect. So will think about changing the dock connector from inside.

Thanks Jessa

this worked perfect for me and took about 2 seconds. i just took a sewing pin and tapped it into the center of the connector a little ways and pulled on it with a pliers and the tip cam out.

Get jewelers sized flat head screw drivers. They fit right in the indented area where the tip usually breaks. Placing 1 of these tiny flatheads into each indented area on either side of the port pushes the ipads tension Connectors back allowing one to pry with one of the screwdrivers which in turn frees the broken bit. Patience and a lot of light helps.... please do not use the superglue technique!

This just happened to my daughter when the charging tip of her Mophie case broke off. Took it to the Apple store and the technician couldn't get it out. Claimed he didn't have a small enough tool. I explained what I saw here and he gave me an IMPORTANT TIP - only go down the sides or the front of the phone. NEVER the back. Apparently there are contacts that can be damaged. Anyway, got a thin sewing needle slid it in one side and tried working it for a minute. Nothing. Went to the other side and it just popped right out of the connecting clip. Turns out it was just the thin U shaped metal tip to the charger. Make sure you know what's in there before you start digging and drilling. Good luck.

I took it to a watchmaker and he used his eyeglass and a small pair of tweezers to gently pull it out. Took three tries but out it came. Took about 5 minutes to do.

May I asked how much the watchmaker charge for the work?

took a few times but i finally got it out i thought i was doomed but this totally helped! :)

can ifixit...YES I CAN/YES I DID

My son had done the first part. He had examined the tips of his two chargers. The new charger wouldnt charge but would go into the charging port. The original charger on the other hand would not go fully into the charging port. There was indeed something blocking the port.

I used a sewing neddle. I repeatedly poked/ pulled the neddle at both sides of the charging port until I could feel the piece start to move. Then it flipped side ways and was able to flick it out of the charging port .

Thank you, thank you, thank you. The needle worked perfectly and I was able to get the broken piece out in less than 1 minute.

We just had the same problem with an iPhone 6s.

We followed the instructions above but with one small tweak, push one safety pin down one side (say the left) and bend the pin 90 degrees so you get a hook shape. Then go to the other side (right side) and hook the bend underneath. This allows you to pull that side up 90 degrees. You can then simply pull out the remaining piece with fingers or tweezers.

Took about 20 mins to wear away the plastic inside but the hook method took one attempt.

Good luck.

I put a bit of Crazy Glue on the cable side, put the tip and the cable together, waited for it to dry (like a minute or so), then pulled it out with no problems.

Dremel tip 105, drilled a bit (manually, in diagonal) and I extracted it - 1 minute (5 minutes to find the tip! :))

Surly a pair of tweezers or a long tip pillars should get it out any pics ??

Have tried both, but is well and truly stuck in there. Have got some pics but not sure how to attach

Send to email irepairiphones100@gmail.com

Thanks. have sent pics

Hi seen them she will stuck in there..

You no any1 handy with a small sized drill bit?

Just drill in a little bit and stop don't pull drill bit out hopefully it catches the plastic and pull out

You can open up the mini and replace the entire dock connector from the inside. It does have some soldering, but the part is inexpensive. If you're not comfortable with the soldering, surely a repair shop would be willing to install it for you....especially if you did everything else yourself.

remember when opening any mini to disconnect battery BEFORE pulling off the lcd flex

jessa

I just heated a pin and stuck it into the plastic, it took a few tries but worked great.

I used the drill bit method. I actually lightly taped it in with a hammer, careful not to hit the edge of the port. The drill bit stuck to the broken part, and I was able to use pliers to grip the bit and pull the broken part out.

Burn 2 needles and burn through the plastic put superglue on the tip of the needles and set to dry (20-30) mins max lift out plastic and get a magnet to pul out the metal part and done

That's how I did it with my iPad Air 2

The cable seems to be breaking off in two different places - the photo earlier in this thread shows that some plastic remains. That wasn't the case with mine - only the very tip (the thin metal band) broke off. All I needed was a needle (with some tape over the other end so I could push harder on it). Slight pressure on the small clip to push it back just above the break on one side starting at a 45 degree angle and after a few tries on each side it popped up quite easily.

If this is the case for you, don't use a drill, superglue, or heated parts as that will likely cause more damage. I have a photo but I'm not sure how to attach it. Cheers

Thanks so much for all the inputs here. I just tried using the push pin(this gives grip to hold) to remove the white plastic little by little pushing towards outside.Within 2 mins the broken piece came out little front and I could remove with my nails.eureka!!

Well i used tweezers and pulled it out my the end cables really worked!

Lorna will be eternally grateful.