7.9 inch display iPad Mini, with 16, 32, or 64 GB of storage.

lightning connector tip broken and stuck in charge port

When removing the charge cable from my ipad mini, the tip of the lightning connector has snapped off inside the ipad charging port. Took it to Apple who cannot get it out and say they can only replace the whole ipad for £250! Surely there is a way of removing it without having to replace the ipad? Any suggestions

I found a great way to "pick" out the broken charger tip. Take a large sewing needle and insert it in a coax cable straight union, $1.50 at Walmart and thread a cap on it. This gives you something to hold onto when picking out the broken tip. Took me about an hour but it eventually came out. Apple iPad was not repairable but we proved them wrong once again.

I put a bit of Crazy Glue on the cable side, put the tip and the cable together, waited for it to dry (like a minute or so), then pulled it out with no problems.

You can take the device to some third party trusted local service center. They can take the broken thing out from the device and fix the issue.

I used a safety pin (bigger one, about 1.5"), and pushed the pointed pin at the side, pushing the latch that holds the connector on the side.

I just keep doing this on either side, and pull back again. One time after pushing it deep inside, when i pulled it, that side of the broken piece lifted up. So I knew it was possible.

kept doing this until one time the broken piece turned 90 deg. so then i was able to use a thin long nose and pull it out. The whole trial process took ~ 30 mins, with breaks in between. Good thing is since i did that on the sides only, the connector is still ok, and charging still. Just be patient. And yes, at times the pin would bend ...

good luck !

Followed this suggestion and it worked. Only took about 5 mins. What I found helpful was removing the white plastic in the middle with the pin first and then pushing the metal pins from the front and back into the middle. Seemed to make the broken connector looser and more easily removed.

Try this before going near the super glue method.

IT works the best

The very tip of the charger (metal piece that runs along the top) broke off and got stuck in my daughters iPhone. I tried this tip and within 10 minutes it was out! I didn't even know it was working until I saw that piece of metal poking out from the opening. Then it popped right out. Amazing! thank you so much for posting this!!

Brilliant! Thank you

Thanks for giving me the confidence to do this. I used a thumbtack and chiseled into the broken tip on both sides, wiggling back and forward and pushing deeper. Eventually, it popped out. I was shocked and relieved.

I succeeded! I made a 1 mm deep hole rotating by hand a 1.5mm drill bit, then I heated a pinhead and put it in the hole. The connector plastic melted just that little bit to hold the piece, so I could pull it out. No glue, no money. Next time no Apple.

OMG I freaked when it broke but I just used this tip and it totally worked...love you guys

Brilliant worked with seconds, happy mammy happy daughters thank you

How do I put it back together? Would I just have to get a new charger or could I glue it back together

Dude!! Totally works. Thumbtack back and forth pops right out!

This totally worked thank you!

can ifixit...YES I CAN/YES I DID

My son had done the first part. He had examined the tips of his two chargers. The new charger wouldnt charge but would go into the charging port. The original charger on the other hand would not go fully into the charging port. There was indeed something blocking the port.

I used a sewing neddle. I repeatedly poked/ pulled the neddle at both sides of the charging port until I could feel the piece start to move. Then it flipped side ways and was able to flick it out of the charging port .

Thanks to all of you for these suggestions. I tried them all with exception of superglue . In addition I also went to bestbuy, Apple, anda pc repair shop but nothing worked. I needed go find a tool that was thin but had ridges of some kind to have some kind of traction because using needles and safety pins did nothing bit scrape off metal. I tried some jewelry files until I found one that would fit in Rhee iPad slot and give me a little traction. It worked by letting me inche up the piece by alternating between the left and right sides in a flicking action until I actually flicke it out. Took me about 3 min.

This is actually very easy to take out with a regular sized pin. There are small latches on the side of the docking port that you have press on lightly repeatedly. You have to try bending the broken tip so that it will be rotated 90 degrees and then you will be able to take it out easier. One last tip is to never ever buy chargers that are not made by Apple. Those will break after a few weeks of using them. The Apple ones cost more but it is worth it. Hope this has helped anyone and good luck trying to get the charger out.

Agree on the cheap cables, it's just a pity Apple can't make thier prices a bit friendlier!

Get jewelers sized flat head screw drivers. They fit right in the indented area where the tip usually breaks. Placing 1 of these tiny flatheads into each indented area on either side of the port pushes the ipads tension Connectors back allowing one to pry with one of the screwdrivers which in turn frees the broken bit. Patience and a lot of light helps.... please do not use the superglue technique!

I took it to a watchmaker and he used his eyeglass and a small pair of tweezers to gently pull it out. Took three tries but out it came. Took about 5 minutes to do.

May I asked how much the watchmaker charge for the work?

took a few times but i finally got it out i thought i was doomed but this totally helped! :)

I used a safety pin- it was lodged deep in there. I kept pushing it with a safety pin on one side and then the other side popped up after about 10 minutes of jamming the pin in there. Once the other side popped up, I pulled the whole thing out with my finger. Plugged it in- works perfect.

Surly a pair of tweezers or a long tip pillars should get it out any pics ??

Have tried both, but is well and truly stuck in there. Have got some pics but not sure how to attach

Thanks. have sent pics

Hi seen them she will stuck in there..

You no any1 handy with a small sized drill bit?

Just drill in a little bit and stop don't pull drill bit out hopefully it catches the plastic and pull out

You can open up the mini and replace the entire dock connector from the inside. It does have some soldering, but the part is inexpensive. If you're not comfortable with the soldering, surely a repair shop would be willing to install it for you....especially if you did everything else yourself.

remember when opening any mini to disconnect battery BEFORE pulling off the lcd flex

jessa

Burn 2 needles and burn through the plastic put superglue on the tip of the needles and set to dry (20-30) mins max lift out plastic and get a magnet to pul out the metal part and done

That's how I did it with my iPad Air 2

The cable seems to be breaking off in two different places - the photo earlier in this thread shows that some plastic remains. That wasn't the case with mine - only the very tip (the thin metal band) broke off. All I needed was a needle (with some tape over the other end so I could push harder on it). Slight pressure on the small clip to push it back just above the break on one side starting at a 45 degree angle and after a few tries on each side it popped up quite easily.

If this is the case for you, don't use a drill, superglue, or heated parts as that will likely cause more damage. I have a photo but I'm not sure how to attach it. Cheers

Well i used tweezers and pulled it out my the end cables really worked!

Mine got stuck too. What I did was I used nail clippers and pulled it right out. It’s the perfect fit for the charger!! Using the safety pin thing was actually quit difficult for me but this is perfect.

I also had this happen and wanted to share my experience. I tried the safety pin solution above to no avail and then tried with super glue. I finally decided to go to an iphone repair store to get an expert’s opinion. After messing with it for a while, the attendant told me that normally it would have been a straightforward process (they deal with this problem quite frequently and usually remove the piece within 5 minutes with a pair of tweezers), but because I used glue he would have to disassemble the phone. This ended up working fine, and the piece was removed, but it took a lot longer and cost more ($50 dollars instead of being free). Morale of the story: Go to a tech repair store when you have a problem instead of potentially damaging your phone and DO NOT USE GLUE!

We used a pair of nail clipper to pull it out. It worked very well!

Do not glue! After that didn't work, I got mine out using the pointy end of the nail file pushed up against the side and it came out instantly. But now it will not charge or play music through the earbuds, because glue is covering the metal contacts.

Lorna will be eternally grateful.