The Nikon D90 is a 12.3 MP DSLR camera capable of taking photos and video.

Why does the auto focus not focus?

When I try to take a picture the auto focus just moves in and out. It will not stop and focus.

I would guess the focus setting might be on continuous mode but check your settings here..

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/af-...

Thank you for your help

You do not mention what lens you are using, but the most common lens you see with D90s is the 18-135, and on that lens focusing in and out can be caused by a failure of the magnetic sensor on the side of the lens, or a failure of the lens circuit board. As Nikon has stopped selling parts, your best bet is to first check the camera with another lens. If it works OK with another lens, then send in the bad one to Nikon.

I have the same problem, but it does not matter which lens I use, the auto focus moves in and out but it does not focus. In LiveView mode the AF works fine, but not in the normal mode. I have tried to clean the contacts of the lens and the camera and checked the mirror and the submirror in the camera, but is still does not work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Kind regards

Alex

Try taking the lens off and cleaning the contacts on both the lens and the camera body. Make sure the lens setting is set to A and the camera setting next to the lens is set to AF Then look at the display on the top of the camera and make sure it says AF-A.

If it still doesn't work, try a different lens. If that makes it work you have a bad lens and you can send it in for repairs or replace it.

Thomas Falater

Russell will be eternally grateful.