Fifth generation of iPhone. Repair of this device is straightforward, and requires screwdrivers, prying tools, and patience. GSM/CDMA / 16, 32, or 64 GB / Black or White.

Wi-Fi unstable, sometimes grey, sometimes no networks

I have an iPhone 4S with some very strange wi-fi behavior.

The phone sometimes has the known problem of greyed out wifi, but after the next reboot it'll suddenly enable the wifi switch. Although it is enabled it won't find any networks, then all of a sudden it does actually find and connect to networks... It's very hard for me to conclude what the actual issue is here. I've tried everything concerning rebooting/resetting.

It seems to have a lot of trouble with everything connected with the wifi... even opening the wifi menu in the settings sometimes takes ages even though it works sometimes.

Can anyone advise me on my next steps other than heating or freezing the phone which has proven to be a temporary solution in most cases..

Thanks in advance!

You need to get the wifi-module on the logic board replaced or reballed(probably cheaper with a replacement chip than reballing it)

Any attempts to heat or freeze it will likely make the problem worse as the chip will only retract further. Chip replacement or reballing will likely be your only solution.

Most Helpful Answer

Yes, Anders is absolutely right. Try this: when you can't enable WiFi switch in the menu, check the WiFi Address (Settings>About>). If you see "Not attached" this means problem with WiFi module. And in the same time you will have a problem with the Bluetooth.

WiFi module replacement is a very difficult operation. You need a good service technician.

Regards.

faabamskeelb will be eternally grateful.