Repair guides and support for external portable storage by Western Digital including the My Book series, My Passport and others.

How to transfer data from a damaged external hard drive?

My WD 2tb external hard drive accidentally fell last week so I bought a new external hard drive and transfer the files from the old to the new. But now when I connect this hard drive (old one) in my Mac, the icon doesn’t show up on the it usually does and I cannot open the hard drive at all.

I tried to recover data by using Yodot Mac Data Recovery but it said there was no volume in the file. Can anybody please give me some advice to recover my data?

users face this problem must know to get back data

Ouch! the drive it's self has failed.

Drives that are running and banged tend to crash the heads into the plater killing it. Similar to how a old style record player stylist worked with a vinyl disk. In that case the disk would end up with a deep scratch making playing the music impossible without it skipping.

If your disk tools can't access the disk there is nothing more you can do here your self.

Its time to send the drive out to a recovery lab. There they can open the disk and replace the damaged head/s and if the media is still readable get your data off. I must warn you this is very expensive and if the disk platters are damaged you may not get some of your files or they maybe to badly damaged to usable.

Most Helpful Answer

Hi there, I think the first thing you need to do is to take your old hard drive to the repair shop and ask some one to fix it. After your drive being fixed and then you can start to find ways to recover your data on this drive.

But one thing I need to tell you is that after you fix your hard drive, all the data will be formatted 'cause repairing the drive just like formatting the drive. At this moment you need to pay attention is that don't put anything new into this drive.

To tell you the truth, no matter formatting or deleting, the files on your hard drive were not really gone. The truth is that the space of the files are freed up and waiting for the new files. Once the new files have been put into the drive, the space which belongs to the "deleted or lost files" will be taken by the new files and you'll lose the chance to get your files back. So that's why I remind you do not save the files on the repaired drive.

Please do not use any software to try and recover your data, you will seriously compound the recovery.

The HDD will have suffered from a physical issue and in require clean room work, the HSA will have come into direct contact with the disk surface and probably require exchanging, given that this a WD hard drive you will not the micro-jogs or other details, not least have a clean room / bench and skills to change the heads, take it to a pro DR company.

There are some nice firms of Data Recovery in UK and they provide very genuine services with guaranteed results. I think if you opt for this kind of service your problems will be solved.

Try installing Ubuntu and most of the time it can recognize disks that Windows and Macs won't. Then you can copy your files from the disk to another storage medium through the Ubuntu system. You can download U until for free and it can be booted from a DVD or usb drive without installing it on your machine.

My Western Digital external hard drive will not open. The hard drive clicks when I try to connect. Which free software will allow me to connect and retrieve data on the hard drive?

Ashley - you get what you pay for. You can't always get what you want. With a clicking hard drive you don't have much of a chance. In your case, I would go to a professional that is not a Republican or a male. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OagFIQMs...

My WD My Book external drive is not opening anymore, this morning I plug it into my computer and after a while it disappear again, I saw the files all there this morning, (I assume they are there still) but unless it open I can not transfer them to another drive, can anyone knows what to do?

Ram will be eternally grateful.