Patagonia Down Jacket

Down jackets wrap you in soft warmth, insulating your core from freezing temperatures and wind. They are highly compressible, extremely lightweight for their warmth, and ultra-comfortable for all day use.

My down jacket is leaking feathers! How can I patch the hole?

For a quick patch on the fly, apply some Tenacious Tape. Never pull the feathers out—always push the feathers back in. Pulling the feathers out will pull more feathers out. If you are looking for a long-term solution, you will most likely need a baffle repair. While a baffle repair is challenging, it can bring new life to your jacket.

Mentioned Items

Patagonia Down Jacket Baffle Repair Image

How To Repair A Baffle On A Patagonia Down Jacket

by Brittany McCrigler Difficulty: Difficult40 minutes - 1 hour

I used Stormsure TUFF Tape on a ripped waterproof jacket. It is clear, self adhesive, and a little bit stretchy too, which is great for the ripped elbow. Each time I bend my arm it puts extra strain on other tape (which I tried unsuccessfully earlier) but TUFF tape has that extra bit of stretch. It has been through the washing machine 3 or 4 times and is still in great shape keeping out the rain. I ordered it online and it came in the mail real quickly.

I bought from Stormsure TUFF Tape

What about a dab of crazy glue?

Yep I "carefully" burned the feather sticking out and then placed a small drop of super glue on the small spot. Try and drop the glue on versus touching the jacket because pulling the tip back after touching can pull another feather out. Don't try and reburn the feather with Super glue on it, really flammable, switch to knife to trim.

by Lamar

Cait Emma Smith will be eternally grateful.