iPhone 3GS

Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

How to fix not charging phone?

i have some problem with my iPhone 3gs 16 gb. The problem occured a few months ago when phone randomly shuts down even when battery was charged at 50%. Somehow i manage this but recently phone has died completly. The battery drained out and connecting it to a charger haven't affect phone a bit. So i figure - this must be battery. I bought a new one, but after i have mounted it phone turn on for a few seconds and again - dead. I thought that maybe there is something wrong with a new battery. I charged new battery using two cables, + and - from usb cable which i connected to VCC and GND on battery. I have charged it almost to 80 %. The phone was jailbrokem so i restore a clean 6.1.3. Well this doesn't help at all. When i connect phone to a charger phone detect it, and charging icon appears. The problem is that battery is not charging, but draining very fast. So after few minutes phone is completly discharged, and i cannot turn it on again. Also iPhone is getting very hot when connected to charger. This trick with ring/vibrating button and power/home button doesn't help. Do you have any idea how to fix it? It is not a battery, charger or dock connector failure. It must be logic board issue, but i'm not quite sure how to fix it and why such problem occurs.

Most Helpful Answer

yeah...too old phone i guess. Some GSM service told me that if would cost me ~ 50$, and it is kind of pointless while i can buy used 3gs for 70-100 $ . I just sell it for parts. I just broke antena from it so now it is complet garbage :)

Do you know what can cause it? I have some 3th party charger, maybe it have dameged my phone?

this can be caused by a bad dock connector, a bad charging IC and/or a bad charging coil.

by oldturkey03

The same problem was my friend with iPhone 3gs 16 gb, the injury was a capacitor near the Power IC or the Power IC itself. Sorry, but his case was not repaired ever.

Related Link1 and Link 2

It possible, but I think the problem is something that simply happens sometimes,

because, my friend never use a 3th party charger.

You might need to replace the battery...

Well if you have read my post you would know that " I bought a new one"

by Tomek

plug into computer usb port to charge

Tomek will be eternally grateful.