Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

lcd bleed but no glass damage

I recently did a screen replacement and customer came back a few days later saying "there's black marks on my screen" upon inspection I discovered the LCD was cracked and bleeding, but there was no damage to the glass, he agreed it was cracked and left without arguing, though said "I don't know how I couldve done that It's been in my pocket the whole time" now weeks later I just got a call from him saying he consulted with "professionals" and they assured him it was definitely a defective screen... Any opinions on this? If that's the likely answer then I'll be happy to give him a new screen (though I doubt my supplier will feel the same way) but if there's a way that he could have broken the lcd underneath without breaking the glass, like from pressure putting it in an otterbox or keys pushing against it in his pocket, then I'm at a loss as to what to say/do. What would you guys say or do?

Laurie, as a business decision, I would replace the LCD. Regardless of what caused it, you will loose at least this customer, as well as anyone he knows. It may cost you a few $$ but you may minimize the damage to the reputation of your business. As for why it happened, nobody will ever really know. The likelihood the one breaks the LCD without the glass, is low. Not impossible, but also not very likely. MY suspicion would be a bad LCD as well.

( YES IT CAN HAPPEN )

I dropped my iPhone 6 a few days ago onto my laminate flooring at some force , the top right corner of my screen has a big black ink bleed on it & faint lines all over the screen which keeps flickering. But I Don’t have any cracks etc on the actual screen itself.

I agree with old turkey. I also have a small phone repair business. I would just replace it depending on where you get your screens from you know the actual cost to make this customer happy is minimal.

Thanks, this is my thought as well... I've been doing this for 4 years and have done at least 1000+ screen replacements, so my hesitance is probably more based on the attitude "I asked a professional" insinuating that I don't know what I'm talking about, though i've just read post after post of people saying "i just took it out of my pocket and the lcd was broken under the glass"... and warranty coverage stating "you can damage your phone by carrying it in a pocket". But alas, I will bite my tongue and keep the customer happy, though I will likely tell him to stop carrying his phone in his pocket! Appreciate your input!

I think that is the "right" way. Sometimes it is easier to take the path of less resistance ;-), and remember it is always business, not personal. I am certain that you are a good tech, and the customer will know that too, you know he will refer more business to you.

It is well known that leaving an LCD unprotected under the sun will cause it to bleed. I myself incurred in this error when replacing a glass from a Samsung phone I own. Without knowing I thought it was OK to leave it outside for the UV glue to dry quickly but 15 mins turned out to be too much time. After that the bottom of the screen started bleeding and became dark. The glass though was OK. No marks of cracks. The frame cracked in two places. Bottom near USB jack and the middle. I'm using it since. And it never stops bleeding. Its almost 3 months and it still bleeding. I can see its draining the liquid till the whole screen goes dark. Next time I'll use an UV lamp. No more ghetto diy repairs.

After paying £80 for new screen a black blob appeared top corner of my iphone 6 when took it back to the shop the guy told me the phone had had a good bang to it or heavy pressure to cause it to bleed.this is totaly untrue i have been so careful with phone because paying so much.i have now got a thick black line half way across the top

Laurie will be eternally grateful.