Model A1311 / Late 2009 / 3.06 or 3.33 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

Boots up with a black screen

When i boot up my iMac the screen stays black the hard drive is running, makes beeping sound but, screen stays black.

I hooked the iMac to a plasma TV and it worked with no trouble. What is wrong?

This i mac is Model A1311 mid 2010 21.5"

Sounds like your display is having problems. Can you shine a flashlight at an angle at the display and see the faint image of your desktop and icons? If you do that would imply the backlight has died. Either the CFL's or the power inverter has gone. If you don't see the image then you likely have a bad LCD or the LVDS cable has become loose.

Hi Dan i changed the lcd for a new one still the same black screen with no image. The new screen came with new cables which i used.

Are you able to see a faint image on the display at all?

No image on the display dan

Bummer! You'll need to open it up to check your cable and locate the diagnostic LEDS to see what they tell you. You'll find them just to the right of the memory slots, and sit behind the SATA cable where it comes out of the connector. LED 3 is the important one here.

LED 1 Indicates that trickle voltage from the power supply has been detected. This LED will be ON when the computer is turned off and your power supply is working correctly.

LED 2 Indicates that the main logic board has detected proper power from the power supply when the computer is turned on. This LED will be ON when the computer is turned on and the power supply is working correctly.

LED 3 Indicates that the computer and the LCD display are communicating. This LED will be ON when the computer is turned on and video signal is being generated.

LED 4 Lights only if the computer detects an over-temperature condition. This LED will be OFF when the computer is turned on and running at the correct temperature.

Hi Dan i checked the LEDS All the LEDS worked as they should, but when i turned the computer off after the test. ( after 20 sec LED 1 turned off.)

Hi guys, did this problem get resolved at all? I'm having the same issue at the moment... all 3 LED's working as they should, but no image at all... please help!

Are you able to see your desktop via an external display?

Thanks for getting back to me, Dan! I have a thunderbolt to HDMI but even in normal circumstances I would have to go in to the system preferences in order to select the thunderbolt in the display options... it doesn't just share automatically as soon as the cable is hooked to the TV. So, as I can't see the screen I won't be able to do so! :( Unless there's a different method!

Can you get your hands on a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter? And you'll need a VGA display (your TV may offer it as an input option).

Most HDMI sets do send the needed active signal which should enable the system to see the display and automatically enable it. Try altering the input options within the TV to see if that triggers things once you come back to the correct port. Also some adapters may have an issue.

john v will be eternally grateful.