HTC One

The HTC One (codenamed M7) is HTC's 2013 flagship smartphone. It features a seamlessly designed unibody aluminum frame, large dual front-facing speakers, and a 4.7-inch 1080p display.

Is it possible to repair the microphone?

i've red the teardown of this phone, and it got 1/10, and discribed as nearly impossible. so im wondering if it is possible to change the microphone since it is not working, because i have to speak in speakers mode when i am talking... and when im filming, it only makes static sounds.

should i send it in for repair or claim a new one?

This depends on how handy you are, it is personal preference.

by oldturkey03

after 2 weeks it magically startet working again, i was just gonna show my problem to a friend and suddenly it startet working.. hehehe i was pretty drunk that night so i dont know if i just hit it in a spot that made it work.

by Eirik Odland

Most Helpful Answer

Yeah. I had the exact same problem.

I have inserted a few strands (like 2 - 4 etc.) of a toothbrush into the bottom mic hole very carefully and slightly rotated them inside, in order to wipe any dust accumulated inside this hole.

And it works like a charm now.

Be careful. Do not harm your mic while trying this. You may puncture it etc. I don't know the risks exactly, no guarantee.

Try it at your own risk.

I had 0% confidence in this answer. Until it worked. +100000 points for you.

by Kabir Sarin

Amazing! I used a soft bristle from a shoe brush and the mic worked just fine! Clearly the location of the mic makes it prone to dirt clogging...

by Jack Atzmon

Hey everyone, It's me again! My phone's mic hole gets clogged again and again occasionally (about monthly or bimonthly, sometimes even biweekly), and all I do is the same thing. Unclog the hole with a brush. It always works. As I have repeated this procedure several times, I haven't harmed my mic yet, so it is kind of safe. You can check the functionality after repair attempt by recording a video, and comparing the volume levels of both channels. No funny taping methods or whatsoever. As Jack Atzmon stated above, the mic hole is prone to clogging. So it will clog again and again! So face it and clean it! Victor de Pablo, just try cleaning it again, Andy Taylor, just do what your local Vodafone shop did, clean it. Not necessarily with a staple, use a brush. And read the comments before posting a new one!

by lidya lidya

Thanks for the tips! I had the same problem, gently cleaned the Mic hole with a wood toothpick and its back! Will be cleaning it regularly (and gently) from now on. Cheers all!

by Hels Moncrieff

I had the same problem,cleaned the mic and found out there was a tiny strand of wool that had clogged the mic....))

by Tommy

Believe or not, just suck the bottom Mic like u take a very quick breath. It works with mine

This fix worked for me. I dropped the phone and it would only work on speaker phone, the normal phones mic made noise like water Cushing. Tried the brush bristles trick whilst on a call to my self on another phone and it cleared for a second or two a couple of times then reverted back to noise. So I decided to suck on the mic hole whilst leaving a small gap between the phone and my mouth to let some air in. I felt something small fly in to my mouth (small bit of dust I guess) and hey presto its all good again. So if it is a dust problem you need to get it out..

by Glen Host

Sucked the mic, and it worked again... what the !&&*! Thanks! :)

by jakob

50% and 50% , you must go to some repair shop call, and get the diagnostic, and see if they are skilled to repair.

Otherwise you must replace phone.

God bless you

Yeah! I had the exact same problem, since my phone felt to the flor and I was not able to speak anymore. (I was afraid, I thought I had to buy a new one). Now, after doing what some say about cleaning the mic hole my phone is working fine again. So, it seems that the problem was that, after falling, the mic's whole got some dust. Now it is clean of dust and I have my phone back!

A week later UPDATE: Well, definitivelly is not solved really. It seems my MIC as got some kind of broken or so. Now it is really working but very badly and noisy. So, I keep using the handsfree way to talk (very unnoin).

The mic on my HTC one stop working mid conversation. Took it in my locall Vodafone shop and a member of staff there stuck a paper staple into the mic hole on the bottom of the phone and wiggled it about, he said it might be blocked. After a couple of attempts all seams to be back to normal. Then by the time I got home it had stopped working again. Checked on youtube found to video about mic faults and the first video said put some tape over the mic on the back of the phone to the right and above the camera lens. Tried this and all seems good now. But if you record a video the audio is very quiet.

Got this problem today googled and found this question and comments, brush didnt work but my vacuumcleaner - with a small but standard nozzle attached, did the trick, cam mic as well as phone mic works fine again (HTC One with hdr mic)

Anders

This is the second time it happenes to my htc one's mic first time i didnt do anything it fixed itself i guess lol,, and second time i used what u r suggesting a toothbrush and now my mic is back to normal thank you :)

if you can get the mic to work and you're done putting it on speaker. You have to be willing to open up your phone and replace the charging port connector. The usb port and mic are one piece. I don't know no why nobody advertises it like that.

We tried compressed air and vacuum and needle but nothing worked. Until finally I wrapped my lips around the phone to create pressure and sure enough, it got whatever was the issue out.

Excelente comentario y para probarlo en el teclado de marcado dar

*#*#3424#*#* y en audio podremos probar que volvio a funcionar. Mil gracias

Excelente con solo limpiar con una cerda de cepillo dental y mucho cuidado el orificio del microfono, luego en el teclado de marcado ponemos para probarlo

*#*#3424#*#* , nos v permitira probar audio y micro, Mil Gracias

A serious company would solve the problem created its customers. . .

The next will not HTC. . . ! !

Yeah worked for me too, one toothbrush bristle. Assumed it was a hardware problem from me dropping it but must have just been dust inside the mic.

To repair the microphone, just take a powerful vacuum and suck the microphone hole and Mini USB. Clean the remaining holes simultaneously. There is too much dust.

Eirik Odland will be eternally grateful.