The MacBook family was first introduced in May 2006 and replaced the iBook as Apple's consumer laptop.

unable to create fusion drive with SSD and HDD

Hi:

I have a late 2008 macbook (2.4 GHz), in which I replaced the optical drive with the hybrid 500 g HDD and added the Samsung 840 series SSD (240 g) in the original HDD slot. I am running OS X 10.7.5 on the macbook.

The system shows two drives, but no matter what I try, I am not able to create the fusion drive. I tried booting the system using Command - R (since my boot drive is SSD) and tried the following command in Terminal:

diskutil cs create newdrive disk# (SSD identifier) disk# (HDD identifier)

Every time I try this command, it says the CoreStorage operation started, and then it gives the error "Invalid Request".

Also, "diskutil cs list" command shows that I don't have a corestorage volume on my system.

I tried formatting the hybrid HDD and then tried the fusion, same result. I tried installing the OS on the HDD and then tried fusion, same result.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

~ paresh

Paresh -

To start with you have a hybrid drive which may not be compatible working as part of a Fusion Drive. I would first try setting this up with your older HD instead to see if that is the problem.

Here's a good write-up on how to setup the Fusion Drive with Mountain Lion which I would also recommend is what you should be running here. Other World Computing Blog - Fusion Drives on Non-Fusion Drive equipped Macs

paresh1506 will be eternally grateful.