1

lidya lidya
61

Patch fix for blown speaker

My HTC One's top speaker is blown.

I have bought it from abroad, hence I don't have warranty in my country. Therefore I want to fix it myself.

I am planning to fix it by patching very thin paper (about 30 micron thickness) to the teared area with instant glue.

Would it be possible to just open the top speaker grill without opening whole body? Maybe with application of some heat to the speaker grill itself?

And can you comment on my fix? Would it work? Would it still decrease the volume of the speaker noticeably if I work with a really small piece of paper very precisely? Would it have another unwanted effect on tone, etc?

I may consider replacing the speaker with a new one, I know in this case I will need to open the phone completely from the teardown, but I can't find original beats speakers on the internet. All I find is substitutes such as seen in http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTC-One-M7-Lauts... and http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speaker-Buzzer-R...

So I'm not sure about if these speakers will perform as good as the original ones, and think that fixing the original would be better.

What do you think and suggest?

Thanks a lot...

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , lidya lidya ( )

I've had the same problem,luckily mine was under warranty so I had the speaker's replaced,only for 3 days after getting my phone back the speaker blew again! Safe to say I'm not a happy man

Andy,

Hi. I have a HTC One M7 & i bought it as a damaged item from ebay. I can tell you from experience that you CANNOT change the speaker/buzzer in the M7 by removing just the grill. If it's just the top speaker that needs changing then the back casing has to be removed and the mainboard plus 'daughterboard' at the top of the phone. If it's the bottom speaker then that is a little less trouble because that comes in a plastic housing around the charging connector area. You can remove that without disturbing the mainboards. Ive posted a few pics online which i took while repairing my M7. Have a look through them & see if they are of any help. http://tinypic.com/a/36lhv/1 Gazza

gazza667,

2

Richdave

There are many reports of bad speakers on this phone.

EDITED/AMENDED

The parts you linked are not likely original so they may not perform as well. repairing the speaker is not a practicable option IMO.

TEARDOWN

To me and based on the tear down, the speaker assembly looks like it will only come out if you disassemble the device.

Edited by: Richdave ( )

Thanks for your opinion about speaker repair. By the way, my speaker is really blown. Not due to being loose or having dirty springs. Also my model is not One X. The site you have recommended explains complete teardown for One X. Additionally a complete teardown for HTC One by ifixit exists. I think I still need to know, if it is possible to just remove the top speaker grill of the htc one (m7) without harming the body.

lidya lidya,

Hmm clearly I got confused there! Sorry :(.

Richdave,

Definitely, in order to take it out, complete disassembly is required. However if I can just remove the grill, I will try to patch it from the surface revealed.

lidya lidya,

Good luck with that approach... Let us konw how you get on

Richdave,

I have decided to use it as it is until the sound becomes really disturbing. Right now, it buzzes on very rare notes, mostly it is unnoticeable. But due to my experiences with previous blown speakers, i think it may buzz on a wider range of notes with time, then it would buzz on all notes, and eventually end up with very disturbing but very silent sound. So I will tear it down if the speaker replacement becomes a must, or if I need to open it for some other reason, and then i will post the outcome of this patch method above. Thanks a lot again.

lidya lidya,