1.6, 1.8, or 2 GHz G5 processor

Is it possible to upgrade drive to ssd?

I have just come into two Imac G5 A1058 1.8ghz and I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade drive to an ssd?

Thanks for the info it was just what i needed.

While the SATA HD interface would allow the SSD to physically work. You'll encounter issues with the inability of the OS. OS-9 or OS-X Tiger the newest OS-X you can use on this system. Neither has the TRIM support for SSD's. That's not to say it wouldn't work just the SSD will wear out quicker.

Now the hard part - The cost and benefit of using a SSD's in this system don't make it the ideal choice of storage. I would stay with a standard HD drive if you need to get more storage and you may want to think about getting an external drive (needs to be FireWire) or a NAS server via Ethernet. So your investment can be reused with a newer system later on.

You can put in your iMac an SSD and install OS X Leopard. It works.

Sure it works, just like driving on the wrong side of the road ;-} As for Leopard this is a PPC model Tiger is the highest one can go without loosing OS-9 Classic services. Leopard will only run 32-bit apps (if you can find them) Most OS-X Apps are now 64-bit and designed for Intel based systems.

I think that in 2013 NO ONE needs OS-9 Classic...

Many would agree with you! But... This is a PPC system as such its frozen in time on what it can run. Newer OS-X apps are now mostly Intel 32/64-bit and won't run on PPC with OS-X.

MMorgan1122 will be eternally grateful.