The PlayStation 3 Slim is the second version of the PS3 video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment. It was released September 1, 2009.

PS3 Slim not reading disk

Hey there, I have a PS3 Slim that isn't reading disks. It doesn't display any sort of error, but when I put a disk in nothing happens. Is there any way to find out if I need to replace a control board, the blu-ray drive, or just a cable?

Thanks.

Does it read any disk, or none? Tried a CD, DVD and game disk?

No disks at all.

u need a new dick reader my ps3 slim is wors i caint even tak my fave move out so i ttok it a part and moded it it took like 2 hours thats it it helps when uk what u r doing

Most Helpful Answer

To those who change the lazer and it still doesnt work. Try putting the disc in the drive and taking it out again straight away. Repeat up to 20 times. I spent a whole afternoon trying to get a new lazer to work and thats what did it. Apparently they need to have a bit of power run through them first. Shout out to the people having this problem in 2016 took me 3 days of google searches and still found the answer on my owb pretty much.

The ps3 slim has dual lasers on the deck. One is for DVD's and the other is for Blu-rays. If the PS3 plays DVD's and not games. Your Blu-ray laser is out or not powerful enough anymore to transfer data.

If you get No DVD or Game loading or playing. Your Laser most likely went out.

I have fixed over 5k ps3 systems. please DO NOT attempt it yourself. there are alot of springs and switches that need to line up perfectly to get it back together.

Although the PS3 slim can be troubleshooted easily if you have some experience with tools.

Open the PS3 using the proper tools.

Remove the Power supply by unscrewing the screw on either side.

If your look at the DVD Drive. If you have a cable to the far left. That's an easy one. Stay away from the one with the 3 ribbon cables in the back. Headache for you.

If you have already decided you should open it anyway or have the easy one read further.

After removing the top of the DVD (Metal Cover) take off the DVD Spindle Top. (White Round Thing)

Find a Blank DVD or Cd carousel. At the bottom is a clear cd/dvd. You can load this into the ps3 and see thru it for the lasers.

Once you put the clear cd/dvd in the ps3 (leave the spindle off) you will see the laser move forward and try to read. Blu laser will fire first. then red.

If you see both lasers then you have gotten 50% of your answer. At this point you should not have taken any screws out of the dvd drive other than the top one to get the cover off.

Use a q-tip and a little alcohol to clean the lens of each laser then replace the spindle top and try a game. If you cannot at this point play a game your laser is bad AND HAS TO BE REPLACED.

mine wasnt playing either i replaced the entire drive and it still doesnt read anything what could this be?

It can be from cables with plastic or something like that

Could it be an improper power cord? I started using a different power cord and that's when it started acting up for me.

What if my disk drive isn't recognizing my disc taking or ejecting it. But I'm getting both lasers?

What if my PS3 isn't recognizing I'm trying to insert a disc at all or eject it? I do get both red and blue light perfectly tho?

After playing the last of us it froze mid game and next day it would not load games and also now has a weird ejecting noise

Adam will be eternally grateful.