How do you revive a completely DEAD iPod Touch?

I have been fixing iPods for my own kids and their friends. I am able to fix most of them, but some just have me stumped.

Some are completely dead.

How do I tell what is wrong with them?

By completely dead, I mean iTunes won't recognize them and they won't power on.

I have tried the trick where you short the positive battery terminal to ground.

I have tried holding down Power and Home buttons for 15 seconds.

Is there an easy way to tell if the problem is the 30 pin connector before you replace the connector (it's not a trivial task...)?

Thanks for your help !!

I held the power and home button till the apple logo appeared. I thought it was going into recovery mode because there was a picture of a cable and iTunes on the screen. I plugged it into my computer thinking I was going to have to restore from backup but the log in screen appeared. I logged in and every thing looks good.

my ipod wont charge..ive charged it for 2 nights straight and nothing happened..i tried connecting it to my computer too but it didnt recognize it either. my ipod is maybe completely dead. :(

thank you my i pod is working now!!!

bbmiller1, thank you so much, my iPod is working again! It just suddenly died and I tried holding power for 30 seconds, nothing. Was dismayed I'd have to wait weeks for a replacement. I came across your post and figured what the !&&*....and so far so good, thanks so much!

I have the same problem bbmiller i dont get what to do. can u explain a little better

Most Helpful Answer

Hold down both home button and on/off switch for more than 10 seconds

THANK YOU JESUS! or whoever wrote this tip! I thought id lost it forever! :)

this saved my life...

I am about to try it lets see if it works

I've had my son's ipod for 4 years. I did exactly what you said. I love you all! It worked: happy dance: <*\*>

didn't work. My ipod just keeps going from on to off every 5 seconds. When I plug it in the same thing happens. I'm not happy about this.

For O.P.

I once revived a completely dead ipod touch battery by using aligator clips to connect it to my cell phone's battery terminals. i plugged the phone in, and it gave the battery enough juice to be charged normally.

____________________________________________________

For arjun

Your ipod is in DFU mode just as you were attempting. redsn0w should allow you to contine. If you changed your mind and just want it back on, hold home and power for like 30 seconds, or until it shows the apple logo then let go and all should be well.

mine had the same problem and as soon as i read your comment, i tried it and it came on again. :) thank you, thank you, thank you so much!!! :)

Thank you who ever said hold the home button and on/off button down I was so scared that I lost my iPod i plugged it in around 10 pm EST(I think that's wat it is called) and I left it charge thinking it would be back on when I woke up in the morning but now it's on and charging so thank you sooooooo much. I have to remember that the next time.

My sons iPod touch was working perfectly but then we swopped chargers and now it won't even charge! The charging logo doesn't even come on! I have tried holding home/ on off button! But nothing happens any other ideas??

jennyohagan can you hold it for 20 seconds? Failing that buy another charger -not too exy!

I tried holding down every combination of buttons for different periods of time without any obvious signs of success. Eventually connected to my laptop and started to charge immediately. Suggest just keep trying and trying and something should eventually happen.

You need to charge it up a lot. first plug your ipod into the wall then wait for a few hours. NOTE: will not work if charging on iHome device

Well, I read all there was to read on the internet about dead iPods. Mine had been dormant for a long time. would not turn on at all. I re-charged it for 2 days, still nothing. I read about taking it apart, using a folded business card, etc., and figured that was too drastic for me. So I gave it one more try.

IT WORKED!! I RE-PLUGGED THE CHARGER IN AND WHILE IT WAS CONNECTED I PRESSED AND HELD DOWN THE CENTER 'START' BUTTON FOR A GOOD 5-10 SECONDS. SUDDENLY I GOT A LONG MESSAGE IN SEVERAL LANGUAGES THAT I COULDN'T READ AS IT STAYED ON THE SCREEN FOR A VERY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. THEN ANOTHER MASSAGE POPPED UP - BARELY VISIBLE - BUT IT SAID TO 'WAIT - YOUR BATTERY IS VERY LOW.' THE LITTLE BEACH BALL WAS MAKING ITS ROUNDS. SO I JUST LEFT IT FOR SEVERAL HOURS, AND VOILA, IT'S NOW AS GOOD AS NEW! ALL MY MUSIC IS THERE AND IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM AGAIN.

take it to the apple store

replace the battery and you should have it working.

I have this issue as well but my home button is stuck

I havent went on my ipod 6 in half a year and now it wont work or charge. Ive been charging it for a while but nothing seems to work. I did the thing where you hold down the power and home button but nothing it happening. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Thank you so much bbmiller1... My ipod is finally up... Thanks a lot bro..

I havent used my Ipod fifth Gen in a long time, and everytime I plug it in, all it does is light up with the White apple logo and goes away. Then comes back up and goes away. And does that nonstop. Its been charging for a long time and wont turn on. What do I do. I dont have a MacBook with Itunes. Its been plugged into the wall charger and it did the same thing so I moved it to my Ihome Doc and its still doing the same thing.

I have that same *!&$!&$^ problem like my iPod doesn't even wanna recognize my computer and turn on and it's have been charging now 3 days

My Ipod isn't charging...I tried using the hold home button and on/off button...but nothing happened...I think my Ipod Isn't charging at all...its completely dead and has a black screen....I been charging it for like around 2 hours by now but still no sign of success....Please Help! and thank you! :)

My ipod isn't charging or even turning on...I tried doing the "hold home button and on/off button" but the ipod has no respond! :( ...What should I do!? >.< Please Help!!

None of these tips work ):

I had dropped my ipod 6 in the bath tub and then after a couple months, the battery finally died. I got a new battery and replaced it. But now my ipod just stays on the brick screen and wont turn on. Any help?

It still wont work for me it just keeps off all the time

I have a 6 generation Ipod that shows the battery is very low. I replaced the battery and charged it for two days and it still showing the same thing. I tried to connect this to my computer to restore the software thinking that was the problem but it dies halfway through and I just can't get it to reconnect. Any help would be appreciated!

Curtis will be eternally grateful.