0

ifixsmartphone
59

LCD not working after glass replacement?

I replace glass for Galaxy S3 all the time and been doing fine. I also have succeeded replacing a glass on Note 2 as well. However I find some of Galaxy Note 2 LED doesn't work after a glass replacement indicating I must have caused some damages to LED.

I don't see any crack, and I only apply 70C heat to loosen adhesive and use trusted ifixit spudger to remove it with same method that I apply to Galaxy S3 but I find 3 out 10 will have a problem with display.

I know it is a risk as you are not suppose to remove the glass but in order to provide price options, I do it but can't keep doing this. Can anyone share what not to do?

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , Andrew Optimus Goldberg ( )

I too have suffered the same problem Andrew, I have looked all over the net and it seems many are also in the same boat but no one has a reason why? Have you replaced the LED screen on a failed phone ? I have one at the minute and I would like to know if this was successful before I buy ? More Info - I have replaced 6 glass only Note 2 screens - 2 off these then screen failed , I am careful with my heats and I believe that all 6 were done in the same way ? Regards

Gareth,

I have the same problem. Someone with a lot of experience fixing s3 change my phone (note2) glass and stop working. It's important for me someone respond Gareth question. Can the led be replace in a fail phone?

gomezfuentealba,

I have done many s2 s3 note phone screens and have yet to date [knock on wood] have never damaged a screen or a flex cable. This is a doable repair if you are careful. I make alot of money doing these every week.

Craig,

just accidentally dropped it ...nothing happened to the screen, the phone is working properly but there is no display screen coming out ...what the problem . any solutions

Thinley Penjor,

has anyone broke their return bottin on galaxy while changing the lcd screen like the little wire connected to the senser thing WHAT SHOULD I DO

Alex,

3

ifixsmartphone
59

You cannot get LED only. you will have to replace the complete front scree including, glass, digitizer, LED.

I found out why LED doesn't work after glass replacement. It is the pressure when lifting the glass which causes LED not to work.

I don't use spudger anymore to lift glass. Best to use molybdenum wire.

Edited by: ifixsmartphone ( )

With the molybdenum wire, do u hold it with 2 hands then slide it left right left righ while pulling down...or u just pull it straight down from 2 sides? Hope u understand what i mean, im trying to figure out the safest way to do it

Quinny Bui,

@Quinny, usually with these type of repairs the screen is held down on the machine that heats the adhesive up. You can then use both hands and the cutting wire to free the digitizer

David James,

Never use spudger to lift glass Use playing cards or picks and isesame

Brandon Wainer,

2

Lenny Grey
25

Hi All,

Found this post the other night searching for the answer to this problem I had with my phone, after replacing the whole screen assembly. Sent the first one back to where I bought it and received a replacement with a similar problem.

Symptoms when the phone wasn't totally assembled (just the motherboard attached the the screen chassis frame and all the connectors and a battery inserted) are the phone would boot fine, then when any pressure was applied to the top half of the screen, the screen would go black and not return, but it would be responsive to touch input and the stylus.

I imagine due to having to apply pressure when fitting the back case, after fitting the case and putting in all the screws, the screen would not work at all. I tried the screen off the motherboard (but still in the steel mid frame) and it still had he same issue.

After much swearing and frustration, and emails exchanged between myself and the supplier of the screen - I managed to fix the problem.

The 3.5mm Jack is held in two small phillips head screws, one inside the case, and one that goes through the back case and through.

I removed the first of these two screws (the one that is only accessible when the case if apart), and reassembled the phone without any screw in this hole.

This has fixed my black screen problem. not sure if this will work for anybody else or if this is even the same problem, but I thought I would tell of my findings.

I had this exact same issue when I first got the phone a year ago, though not as bad. The screen would just go black while in use and then it would take a few lock/unlocks and maybe a battery pull to bring it back to life, but it eventually went away.

One thing I did notice was that the screws holding in the 3.5mm jack were -very- loose. Not sure if this is why the issue went away, but you never know

If this fix also works for anybody who tries it. Please us know of your findings!

1

weaverdreams
13

Same exact thing happened to me! I thought the glue was under the glass too but that's just a plastic piece attached to the glass and it too needs to come off. So you run your guitar pick UNDER that plastic piece attached to the glass. Then u just clean the glass & glue off of the digitizer. Being very careful not to put a lot of pressure on it.

I finished the job but now I am having issues with digitizer. I may have to take it to another shop and let them fix it right. Then at least I have some recourse. This is a harder fix than it appears!

Edited by: weaverdreams ( )

1

WellTrainedVC
13

I've personally replaced about 30 screens. I've had one break on am LCD that was not attached to the mid-frame properly (the sticker covering the adhesive was not even removed!) Therefore when I applied the slightest amount of pressure the whole LCD shattered! I almost think the phone is a knock-off. The second one I've had issue with is the Note 2 currently in my possession. The backlight (LCD) won't show a picture, but the touchscreen is working as well as the home button and menu/back buttons. I think I'll try the fix stated above regarding loosening the screws surrounding the headphone jack. If that doesn't work, I'll try the front facing camera/led/sensor as I noticed that the screw took an unusual amount of torque to reattach. And if worse comes to worse I'll remove the glass, clean the lcd, inspect the cables, the top portion of the lcd where the digitizer, lcd and backlight attach. I really hate making customers wait, but at the same time I have them all sign a waiver that states, "replacing/repairing the glass on today's devices takes a high amount of skill. There is some danger involved which includes rendering your screen useless..." Two out of 30+ isn't bad considering the different breaks that I receive. I've refined my process, purchased a screen removal machine, and insisted that repairs take place on my time. Being rushed causes so many issues, including over application of the glue or missing steps (like forgetting to replace the home button).

The phone that had a working touchscreen but didn't show a picture. Were you able to fix it. If so, how did you do it?

Joshua Serafini,

0

G Parc
1

That's most likely internal crack of LED.

0

marshal funk
13

After a seemingly successful glass repair on my S3 I now have pink lines running across the screen at times. When I pull down the app drawer all the font is pink. It responds to touch but then when I try to text a message the response is extremely latent. I am now limited in the apps I can use with these issues What happened? I used a blow dryer and ifixit spudger to remove broken glass. Frustration

Too much heat

David James,

0

croot
1

always check the connection of the cable after having to replace a screen for yourself

______________________________

galaxy s4 galaxy s5

Edited by: croot ( )

0

Brian
1

I have recently had the same problem. I believe some extra glue had bonded the screen to the glass. I had an issue trying to remove 2 areas and that's where I found 2 slivers of the lcd screen.

0

WellTrainedVC
13

Njcummings - chances are that you broke the backlight layer of the lcd assembly. So.... You will have to replace more than just the glass (which is the outermost layer of the Screen assembly).

0

tony
1

just attempted my first glass change! i was told to leave it and buy a new lcd with glass, im pleased to say i found it very easy to do, all you have to do is take your time and not rush? i had a hot plate and heat gun but found it easier with just the heat gun..i used the hot plate when finished to heat the glue so as to seal it better..im now putting an add in my local paper to repair other peoples..

sorry folks i posted my last post in the wrong bit

tony,

0

David James

It's also worth mentioning that 3rd party screens can not handle the heat/process as well as genuine screens. Also, if the digitizer has been removed in the past.

0

rachel
1

I replaced my glass screen today.after putting back together the touch does not work. Color is.good, sound and calls work, just not picking up and touch. Any ideas of the problem??

0

Nick
1

Use a proper repair method do the full screen assembly. Glass replacement = fail.

0

Heidi Souders
1

I used dental floss to help pull the glass off the lcd without hurting it.