The Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), or simply the Super Nintendo, is a 16bit gaming console released by Nintendo in 1990. The Super Nintendo was one of the best sellers of its time and still has a large fanbase today.

Why is my picture distorted?

I brought my snes out of storage after a few years. I hooked it up properly, inserted super mario world, turned it on and I could clearly read the words "Nintendo presents" but when it went to the next screen the picture looks jumbled-like a jigsaw puzzle that's missing pieces. I tried another game and it was the same. I cleaned the games and the console. I tried 3 other t.v.s and it's the same. I have audio, but a jumbled picture. Any ideas why, or how to fix it would be great.

Most Helpful Answer

Could the audio video cable be bad? Gamecube/N64/SNES share they same cable so it shouldn't be too hard to find another one to test your connection.

I have a similar problem with a distorted, pixelated picture. The problem is that a hair managed to sneak it's way into the connector and then snapped off when I tried to remove it. I have yet to open mine up and repair it, but I think it will be relatively simple when I find the hair node.

The important thing is to troubleshoot. If you think it's the connector or cable, try using the coaxial output. If it doesn't power up, you have other problems. Start at the easiest to replace - not the likely culprit.

Hi there!

If you see something similar to this

http://mentalfloss.com/sites/default/fil...

even after you have cleaned contacts and eliminante every "hair node" from the cartridge port, you might have a defective RAM or VRAM. A technician with experience in replacing SMD components can replace it for you, if you provide the chip. Hope that helps.

Cheers

I am having the same issue. I just replaced the cable that hooks into the back of the Nintendo and the three different color coated prongs that go into your tv. I'm still just getting the Nintendo presents and then jig-saw. Were you able to figure out how to fix this?

I have this problem every now and then but usually blowing into my cartriage and my console fixes this problem

I think it might be my cable. Any ideas on where to buy cables? Can I buy cables without buying another console?

I have the same issue! I've tried with different cables and had the same problem. I've only tried it with the same HD TV (Toshiba). My N64 and Gamecube work perfectly with the same cable.

Did someone find any solution?

Heather will be eternally grateful.