The Mac Pro First Generation is an Intel Xeon-based workstation computer manufactured by Apple Inc. The first generation model includes the machines from 2006 through 2008.

Is there a way to fix a faulty Mac Pro (early 2008)PSU?

I've seen guides for replacing it, but it's an expensive PSU specially if you're not in the US (my case). I've read that most PSU problems are a capacitor or something silly that could be easily replaced without having to spend hundreds of dollars.

Is it possible to repair the PSU I already have? Any ideas?

Thanks everybody for your replies. I do not understand much of PSU, and was wondering if it was a matter of simply replacing specific parts, like the ones that are usually faulty, I thought that kind of knowledge would be good to have documented out there.

But given the fact that it might be extremely dangerous, or excessively complicated, I now understand the reason the information is unavailable, and conform to the fact that I will have to replace it via Apple.

On a tangent matter,the problem seems to me, that this sort of information is really not available even to certain technicians. I took the computer to an Apple Authorized Center and they told to replace the logic board. I still have the same problem and it really seems to be the PSU, but I can't pinpoint the diagnostic.

Renan de Araujo, yes it is possible to repair those. can anybody do that? Yes, with the proper knowledge, tools and practice. You have not yet told us what symptoms your computer has. Also, try to post an image of your PSU with your original question. Follow this guide Adding images to a new question to add the images. If you can, give us the number that is on your PSU, that might help to get some more information.

I have the same problem. My Mac Pro (early 2008) doesn't switch on or, after many tries, it start (fans working) but on monitor I can't see anything.

In really few times it started but once the system start, I can see the grey monitor with apple and then it switch off.

I read that it can really be the PSU unit and, as Renan de Araujo wrote, it cost lot of money to buy new one.

Is the repair possible to be done buy who is not a technician?

Thank you very much.

Same problem here. Mid 2010. I believe it was the PSU Relay switch. Or.. One of the processors is faulty. new PSU is pricey and repairing PSU too risky.

Not much we can do with this $5000 Mac Pro huh? I just wondering.. for the price i've paid for this Mac, did they put cheap components in the PSU? since it's just technically customized ATX model made in China (mine is ACBell Polytech, others made by Delta)

I wouldn't say there's anything cheap in here, quite the contrary: it's overbuilt. But that's not a guarantee against failure. Also, it's not excessively dangerous or complicated to service for adults used to working on electronic equipment. I bought a used Delta PSU for about a hundred bucks and it's back in service. Worth it, since this pricey thing still keeps up with modern Macs.

Replacing components on logic boards is not a DIY project. Check out the tags on the right and you'll see you need special tools, and lots and lots of practice to do this sort of work. You say you are outside the US. A good electronics/computer repair shop could possibly provide this service.

If this Answer is helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

I don't mean to fix the logic board, just the power supply.

Maybe a guide that would tell you what are the most common parts that need to be replaced, like what people do with the Time Capsule.

I've searched for a way on Google, there are no websites telling how to diagnose or fix the power supply, it always envolves paying US$ 300 for a replacement part. I was hoping to find a way not to spend that amount of money.

There are no repair shops that fix mac power supplies around where I live, there are some which repair PCs supplies.

I just thought that maybe people around here would have a pointer on what to do.

I think machead was implying repairing the PSU was a bit much for most people.

While I sympathize in not having many options. Mac Pro PSU's are not a common item as such they tend to be more expensive than they should be. As to making a guide, thats a great idea! It's people like you who create them, so others don't struggle. Here's one suppler who has a cheaper unit: P/N 614-0409. Once you get a working replacement see if you can reverse engineer the working one and compare it to yours to isolate out what is bad. If you can, get the needed component/s to fix yours and maybe you can return the part for a refund. - Good Luck!

And while you're doing all that you take notes and pictures and you can put up a guide for others.

I repair computers, but 'repairing' power supplies can be EXTREMELY DANGEROUS - and if you are not a certified 'bench technician', it may even be fatal.

That's because there are numerous high-voltage leads and components inside the power supply... leads and components that you DO NOT WANT TO TOUCH OR BRUSH AGAINST IN ANY FASHION, lest they accidentally discharge stored voltages directly into your person.

This is not wise - do NOT attempt to 'repair' computer power supplies yourself - replace the entire supply? Sure, that's relatively safe. But that the cover off and 'repair'? That is about as poor an idea as attempting to take the cover off and 'fix' an old tube tv set (voltages from which can also kill a grown person).

Good luck, and be safe whatever you do.

First I think your point of it being dangerous it valid when you work on any live circuit without having an isolation transformer & GFI outlet'ed bench to protect your self. With that said, working on a non-powered power supply is mostly safe by taking care of any charged high voltage capacitors if needed. As to certification, I don't think certification proves one has the skills, only the book knowledge the courseware offers and how good one is in parroting the answers back. Whats more important is getting the manufacture training, getting good product repair documentation and following it. I can't count how many CRT based Macs or PC & Mac power supplies I've worked on. I never got zapped, as I took the correct precautions. Todays systems are much safer than what we had just a few years ago, and on the most part it's just easier to replace Vs repair PSU's on the newer systems.

As to killing you, there is little risk on that happening in todays systems unlike the original 128 & 512 Macs with their CRT's. Thats not to say any dummy can fix a CRT or PSU blindly, then you're asking for trouble.

Agree with Dan 100%. yabbadoody, I hear what you are saying, and nobody here wants anybody get hurt, but it is most certainly within the scope of a good DIY'er, to repair any power supply with the proper tools and precaution.

Sometimes. . . seeing the questions, assumptions, and reading comprehension of users exhibit. . . I am tempted (but resist) questioning the ability of some of those posing questions to accomplish even basic DIY repair. I often try to stress how complicated and daunting advanced repair can be - that knowledge, tools and experience are required - about which we know nothing other than what the poster provides (when, and if, they do).

Thank you very much for the advices, but after the warnings I realize I am not capable of performing the fix and understand why it's advisable not to, which also explains why we can't find any how to's on the subject.

I am going to take the computer to the authorized center again and hope that they fix the PSU this time, without charging me.

Renan de Araujo will be eternally grateful.