Spilled Coffee on Keyboard and Laptop Not Powering On

Two days ago I spilled coffee (~2-3 tablespoons worth) on my Macbook Pro on accident. The coffee contained cream but no sugar. The first thing I did was grab some tissues and soak up the excess coffee, power down my computer (it did not immediately short out), and let it sit upside down.

Since this happened, I have tried to power it on but it does not respond when I press the power button. The LED light on the power cord is orange. When I press the button on the side to test the battery, all the LEDs light up to show a full charge. The power button has no response.

Today I removed the back cover and unseated the battery connector. I should have done this 2 days ago, but I'm an idiot. Right now the battery is in the macbook, but it is not connected to the logic board.

What should I do now? I can still smell coffee, so I am optimistic it might still be wet and I can clean it.

I have read about using rubbing alcohol (90%+) to clean up coffee redisue. Can I pour that in the keyboard if my battery is still physically connected to the computer (but unseated from the logic board)? Or do I need to completely remove the battery from the enclosure before I try the rubbing alcohol trick?

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 2

Comments:

I had same problem last wk, daughter knocked coffee (no sugar) on dell 1545 laptop, i panicked didnt unplug it straight away, screen went off. unplugged it, tipped upside down to drain, took battery /hdd out, mopped up and left a week. removed k/brd wiped inside. put back together, connected battery & lead, did start up but wouldnt recognise hdd. tried another from my daughters laptop and worked but most keys wouldnt, bought new k/brd £7, hdd £39.99 both fitted today, installed windows, back up and running. cant believe it, I do backup to an external hdd as my business accounts are on there. bought sata docking station £15 and the damaged hdd has shown up the files so will keep it just in case. hope this is of help to someone, dont bin it, cost me £62 which is cheaper than a new laptop. Best of luck

by

I have a problem with my Apple MAC pro. I spilled some rum on my keyboard and the computer stopped operating. I tried for several days to start the computer but didn't work. 15 days later I started the computer and it did start but it took me to step one, if I want to use English as the language, and second step was to reset my password or use the same one but I could not type as the key board does not repond and now I am stuck here, what should I do

by

Just buy a keyboard off of ebay or in a store like Walmart, Target, etc. that is used or connected through an USB drive. That should work just fine.

by

Add a comment
Black Friday
Broken doesn't stand a chance.

5 Answers

Chosen Solution

Hi mythicalbyrd,

I would definitely remove the battery after all and every other energy source that is connected to the computer or even within reach before starting cleaning. Every energy source attached or in range is a possible source for unwanted short cuts while using alcohol for cleaning purposes.

In your case I would even remove the logic board and would carefully and diligently clean it separately with alcohol. Maybe there is some coffee still somewhere on/under the motherboard. Then I would let it dry for a day before I would built it in and see what the status now is.

Steffen

Was this answer helpful?

Score 3
Add a comment

I spilled a 1/2 a cup full of coffee on my laptop and saved it (thank god). Here's exactly what you do. 1st IMMEDIATLY FLIP THE COMPUTER UPSIDE DOWN (if it's a desktop flip the keyboard over. As liquid is running down your arm TURN OFF THE COMPUTER AS FAST AS YOU CAN. (if it's a laptop do a a hard shut down by holding the power button down for 5 seconds....it'll turn off) you only get one shot at this so don't mess it up. Put the laptop upside down on desk or chair and go get paper towels and start drying up the mess....again leave it upside down the entire time. Next go get your vacuum cleaner (YES I said your vacuum cleaner). Plug in the vacuum and pull out the hose for manual sucking. Leave the computer upside down and using the vacuum hose place it on the keyboard (gently) over every section suck out as much liquid as you can. This process should take you 4-5 minutes. Some dummies have said to use a hair dryer. Well think about it...a hair dryer does what? It pushes air, which means it'll be pushing the liquid INTO the computer...which is EXACTLY NOT WHAT YOU WANT....this is why you use a vacuum. Next use paper towels to dry it off...again still leaving it upside down. Next find a sunny spot to put your laptop...preferably in your car. Why your car? Heat in the car traps it and it'll be warmer. Leave it in a spot where it'll be in direct sunlight as much as possible for a MINIMUM of 24 hours. If you are in a place where it is humid...36 hours will be fine. After 3-4 hours vacuum it again....then again 3-4 hours later. After 36 hours there is nothing you can do...now it's time to test it. With the laptop 1st put the power cord on and see if it shows a charge...if so...you hurdled a big one....wait 30 seconds...then power it up. Ta DA!

DO NOT USE RICE - that's dumb. Pieces of it will get below the keys and cause problems...not help. Again - I did the exact steps above....and I'm typing on the laptop now. I wrote this to help others...hope it works for you.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 1

Comments:

very helpful and very much appreciated!!

Stupid question. Up to the car, you have always suggested turning the laptop upside down. a) do you mean in a V or flat?

2) when you put it in the car, do you close it or also try and keep it upside down.

I truly appreciate your specificity and explanations. Unfortunately I didn't read this right after it happened, but I'll try the next steps before the university sends it off to MAC for repair for 2 weeks.

Even if the power doesn't come on again, is there any danger of loosing my material that may not have been backed up?

Thanks from a desperate one.

by

Add a comment

I spilled beer on mine and it booted into safe mode. I opened it up, cleaned it with diluted bleach and 70% isopropyl alcohol, but it didn't power up afterwards.

Then, I cleaned everything up with 99% isopropyl alcohol, let it dry for a day and reassembled it. It fired up like a charm.

The only problem I have is the "U" key that initially worked fine is working intermittently. I have to push it hard most of the time. Resetting the SMC & NVRAM/PRAM has not fixed it. It's very annoying.

I removed the key and cleaned it with a q-tip & alcohol but the problem persists and is getting worse.

I might have to go back in there, clean it out and push it up from the back, but I would rather not do so because I would have to strip the whole machine to get to the keyboard then reassemble it again which is risky.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Submerge the whole of the laptop in IPA for about 10 hours. remove it and open the lid and turn upside down. leave for 3 days.

This works fine

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0

Comments:

What's IPA? ?

by

India Pale Ale

by

Add a comment

You might also consider putting your Macbook in a bag of rice or some other drying agent. If the problem persists, there may be a problem with your battery and power supply.

Was this answer helpful?

Score -1
Add a comment

Add your answer

mythicalbyrd will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 28

Past 7 Days: 273

Past 30 Days: 1,311

All Time: 46,952