MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009

Mid 2009 Model A1278 / 2.26 or 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo processor EMC 2326

Why won't my touchpad click?

The touchpad on my MBP makes a "click" sound but doesn't actually register the click. It's infuriating.

I bought my MBP in September (five months ago) and this problem appeared about two months ago. It progressively got worse, until I was unable to draw in Photoshop, drag windows around, or resize stuff. What a pain. And pretty disappointing for a brand-spankin-new Apple laptop.

After the quarter ended and I could be without it for a while, I had a genius look at my laptop. As you might have guessed, the entire trackpad assembly was to be replaced. It was a $135 affair, but covered by warranty.

The new trackpad works great (three days post repair now), and I really love the laptop.

Most Helpful Answer

You have to remove the battery. Under the battery you will find the trackpad sistem. On trackpad in the midlle there is a small torx screw. Just try to adjust that screw rotating with the screwdriver milimeter left or right and after that, test the filing of trackpad button, also putt the battery on and try click again. Repeat until you satisfed. Simple job, but big progress

Nik

if you are using windows 7 follow these steps

1. go to control panel

2.select mouse

3.choose device setting tab

4.go to setting

5.from your left list click on tapping

6.enable tapping

enjoy your net time

mona_8079@yahoo.com

g

I encountered similar problem on my MBP 13 inch. Able to move cursor using the touchpad but it wouldn't click.

On the back cover of the MBP, there are 2 screws beneath the touchpad. If you tighten the screw too much, the touchpad won't click.

I loosen one of the screw a little bit and my touchpad is able to click now.

Hope that works for you too.

EC

Having a similar issue out of the blue... I have read other places that it might be the battery "sweiiing"... My MBP is not 2 years old and no longer under warranty... Should have sprung for the Apple Care, but thanks for posting here. Was going to pop it open tonight anyway, but I will try the screw under the case first, and then see if I still need to pop it open...

May need a n we battery soon if it is "swelling" though... I'll report back later tonight.

Mona, thank you SO MUCH! That's brilliant!!!

also i noticed that a bad battery also causes this problem, if you remove the back cover and the battery see if the back of the battery (the one that is directly in contact with your trackpad) is flat as it should be and without any bump. I fixed mine just pressing (gently) the bumps in the back of the battery. And of course if this is the case buy a new battery!.

My clicker stopped working right out of the blue. And so I read stuff here and on the Apple site. Decided to remove the back of the macbook air case... and sure enough, half the battery is slightly puffy. I unscrewed all the screws on the battery, lifted it out (but did not detach it). Checked to see if the clicker worked.

Sure enough it worked fine. Put everything back the way I took it out; and now it works fine.

The batteries can swell when it gets hot. Evenutally this will probably do this again, so in the meantime I'll look for a new battery.

So don't buy that trackpad until you try this.

Same problems here.

Upon removing the battery, I found that one of the plastic tri-wing screw attachments holding the battery was cracked, probably for over torquing at the factory. (refurbished model)

Anyway, I tightened the center main trackpad torx screw, and replaced the bottom panel of the computer, making sure not to over tighten the screws.

Works like a charm now.

I have a similar problem. My trackpad just sags like the button on the iphone 4s, meaning i have to keep fixing this problem but tilting my laptop upside-down. Imagine doing that in a library while getting homework done!

Well I solved my problem in the Bootcamp windows 7 partition on my MacBook Pro.

In the tray of the task bar there is a icone for Bootcamp, I right click on it and go to the parameter panel and there is a few setting for the touchpad ! I played with it and it solved the problem !!!

Reed will be eternally grateful.