Early 2011 model, A1278 / 2.3 GHz i5 or 2.7 GHz i7 processor.

Is graphic card upgrade possible?

Hi guys,

I just upgraded my original mbp early 2011 320GB HDD to a SSD and 16GB RAM, and just due to curiosity, can I actually upgrade graphic card for it, as I've seen apple official store lists the graphic card sales under macbook accessories section.

Thanks in advance.

How did ur upgrade work with the ssd and and ram?? Noticable change? Was it worth it?

I upgraded my 2011 macbook pro 13" to a SSD and 16 gb ram. much noticable difference

Short answer:

No

Long answer:

The problem with upgrading your graphics card is it is soldered to the motherboard. If you were super confident, found the exact same pin arrangement on another graphics card, and were able to desolder the old one and resolder the new one without breaking anything then it would theoretically work. But I don't think its ever been done.

Thanks. Yea if I don't want it anymore later in the future i would give it a shot.

=== Correction ===

All of the 13" MacBook Pro's use the built-in Intel Graphics engine with in the CPU chip. As such there is no means to upgrade the GPU logic at all.

ahhhh i dont think 2011 macbook pros were soldered. thats the 2012 retinas and beyond, making the 2011 upgradeable

Nope!

All MacBook & MacBook Pro's used soldered CPU's & GPU's (dedicated GPU chip).

The iMac 21.5" & 27" both had serviceable GPU cards (MXM)

Some of the bigger (15" - 17") MacBook Pros had 2 GPUs. The one, low power, soldered to the motherboard, and the second, high power and only activated on demand by certain apps, was on a little extra circuit board. I've read somewhere that on these models, the secondary GPU could be upgraded.

None of the MacBooks or MacBook Pro's have replaceable CPU's or GPU's (both are soldered directly to the logic board)

I'm thinking you're thinking of the iMac's. The Older 2011 and older models did have a serviceable MXM board for the dedicated GPU's. The newer iMac's no longer offer that (2012 and newer).

Dao will be eternally grateful.