Model A1297 Unibody: Early 2009, Mid 2009, Mid 2010 & Late 2011

How much maximum RAM does it take?

I was wondering how many slots are there and how much total maximum RAM it can take.

It depends on EXACTLY which machine you have. Please give the last three letters of your serial number for identification.

8GB MAX

I have 6GB in mine

Most Helpful Answer

There are two RAM slots that you can fill with 4 GB RAM chips for a total of 8 GB.

You can now go up to 16GB with two 8GB modules (very expensive tho) in the early 2011 models.

what happens if you try 16gb ram on a model that supports 8gb ? I've seen before certain restrictions to be not true. Just wondering if that's just not 'recommended' instead of really not compatible. thanks!

this is my mac:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

You can install 2x8 Gb RAM, for a total of 16 Gb.

It's ok. The MBP works fine (and quick).

You can install 16GB ram on the 15" & 17" 2010 Macbook Pros if they have been updated to OS X Mavericks (previously limited to 8GB max)

And have the latest EFI firmware!

Dan, Yes! forgot to mention that!! :)

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do this. I have a mid-2010 15-inch MBP 6,2 with a 2.66 GHz i7, running the latest EFI firmware from Apple's official firmware page. The 16GB kit I installed (from Crucial, 2x8GB) either caused a kernel panic on bootup, a freeze on bootup, or would eventually cause sudden shutdown when more than 8GB was addressed after running normally for a little while. I've researched this for quite a bit, and I can't seem to resolve why some people have been able to get this to work, and others haven't. I'd appreciate any clues you might have!

my macbook pro is the 5,2 and i wasn't notified automatically about the EFI upgrade...

although i upgraded to Maverick and i can see so much improvement...

but i'd DEFINITELY put more RAM tomorrow if i could...

I just can't know if mine will accept it or not... since the EFI hasn't been proposed by apple

Here's the link to the Apple TN EFI & SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs Double check your system, it maybe you have the newest already.

And only the newer Unibody i5/i7 models can be upgraded to 16GB the older models can't. I would double check your system with Apple before you buy any modules. Do get a good name brand of module.

keshmir will be eternally grateful.