The Nissan Altima is a mid-size automobile manufactured by Nissan, and is arguably a continuation of the Nissan Bluebird line, which began in 1957.

Why is there oil in the spark plug well?

2003 Nissan Altima, 3.5, 110,000 miles.

Went to change the spark plugs after obd2 read a misfire in cylinder six, when i removed the ignition coil it was soaked in oil, as well as the spark plug when i removed it.I Wiped out most the oil and finished replacing the plugs. After starting it the first time white smoke was pouring out the exhaust for a min or so and stopped,and the car drove fine.

However today i started it up and it was misfiring again, worse than before and this time the check engine light kept flashing all the way home, p0306, cylinder six misfire. What could be causing oil to get in the spark plug well? Im assuming the oil is causing the misfire.

Please Advise

check the relative spark plug , and related coil , if any one of them is not functioning the oil will be on the spark plug because thats a fuel which spark plug has to make combustion in the cylinder so if coil/plug is not working then , it will come over ignition area of spark plug , try changing ignition coil and plug

Most Helpful Answer

Most likely a leaking valve cover gasket. If the gasket is not sealed around the spark plug well it will leak oil into that area. It also could be a faulty valve cover (cracked), but it is more likely that the gasket is the problem.

In my case it was a bad spark plug well gasket. Oil gets inside the tube and causes cylinder misfire. You always need to replace the valve cover gasket as well. On 2002-2006 model spark plug seals are embedded into the valve cover and it’s impossible to replace just the seals. You’ll have to buy valve cover.

You can find step by step instructions and more details such as torque specs and sequence, silicone gasket maker application, tools and parts needed, etc. in the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQmMdfEGw...

For a temp fix you can go to your local parts store and get high temp sylicone gasket maker. I had the same problem on my 03 Nissan altima. Just fill the gap between the valve cover an the spark plug well and let it cure for about 12 hours this will not perminately fix the problem but should get you by until you can get a new valve cover.

I have a 2003 nissan altima and recently had the valve cover gasket changed and was told that I had to change the valve cover as well because the the seals in the valve cover where the spark plugs go are not replaceable so even if you change the valve cover gasket oil still gets thru the seals up top and on your plugs resulting in your car misfiring and smoking ...you can get the valve covers on ebay fairly cheap or there about $150-200 @ the dealership hope I helped you out some..

I have a 2002 Nissan Altima i just have the mechanic change the Valve cover gasket when i got at the shop a few hours later the car start misfiring before i the gasket was change was not doing that and now a month later i took it the auto zone for a diagnosis and told me that something was wrong with the spark plug coil the first one from the passenger side,

I order a set of coils and spark plus but when i took off the first on the passenger side was fooled with oil and gas and the second too,

The other two are dry,

Can any at there know what may cause this to happen?

Louis

The valve cover needs replacement. The seals that are mounted on the valve cover are the issue! They protect the spark plug chambers from the oil that is pumped up. That's all, valve cover at auto store is $130.00 remove about 15 bolts to remove valve cover and put the new cover on. Done.

hey, it is the spark plug tube seals more than likely. this engine unlike others can't be serviced. no way of just replacing O-rings. after the 100k mile run gaskets begin to show signs of wear. For this engine you need to replace the valve cover itself. replace this before it does any worse damage to your engine. the valve cover is 130 at oreillys and autozone. the oem spark plugs are 9 each. replace your valve cover gasket the felpro brand runs about 12 to 15 dollars depending your area. goodluck.

Valve covers are way cheaper if you buy from eBay or Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=as_l...

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-...

Well I learned that for my 1994 Ford Mustang 6 cylinder 3.8 liter wen it became warm I changed my spark plugs and discovered it was a socket rubber grip left on spark plug number 6I don't know if that's what caused the wetness but that was the only spark plug that was wet now help me from there I don't know

Why is there oil in the spark plugs when I pulled them out

what kind of car James if you have plugs in the valve cover your looking at a valve cover leak this is something that should be addressed as the oil will eventually cause a problem as it eats away at the plug boot

If you give make and model and year I can give instruction on repair

I just changed my valve cover and now it won't start

Getting gas and oil to plug had head redone and oil changed

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5sl

check the relative spark plug , and related coil , if any one of them is not functioning the oil will be on the spark plug because that is a fuel which spark plug has to make combustion in the cylinder so if coil/plug is not working then , it will come over ignition area of spark plug , try changing ignition coil and plug

Please can some explain why my Nissan Altima 2.5s year is 2005. It started smoking after changing the spark plugs whereas I found oil in the plug compartment. Please I need urgent answers

I have a 2002 Nissan altima 2.5 four cylinder my car won't start I smell gas the 2 outer coil packs have oil on them the other 2 are dry someone please help thanks

I have a 2006 Nissan Altima, that was misfiring changed the valve cover and gasket with one ordered online and the car smoked like crazy. Replaced it with the old Nissan part it stopped smoking so we bought new Nissan valve cover had a mechanic put it on the car stopped smoking but started missing and coded misfire on port 3 had them change coil pack and new plug. Drove the car until it warmed up stopped and started it again it made a hard start sputtering and idling ruff, check engine light came on brought back to the mechanic and got the same code plug 3 misfiring he changed plug again and it's doing the exact same thing again.drives perfect, idles hard when stopped unless in neutral What could possibly be the problem.

I have a BMW 5 Series 2001 change the spark plugs and found traces of while on the spark plugs and the car is misfiring is there anybody who can tell me if this is normal or what I have to do to resolve this problem thank you very much

Justin will be eternally grateful.