2.5 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz) with 3 MB shared L3 cache.

Change of RAM possible?

can I change/upgrade the RAM in my MBPr13"?

Up to now I have 8GB and if it is possible, I like to upgrade to 16GB.

Thx

Apple support page

it appears you cant as MBP 13 is a 8GB maximum.

sorry for the bad news.

Most Helpful Answer

No in the 2012 MacBook Pro Retina you cannot upgrade the ram to 16gb, you actually cant upgrade the ram at all. However in other MacBook Pro's many people have doubled the claimed maximum amount. Simply because apple says 8gb is the maximum amount doesnt make it true, I have 16gb's in my (Mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro) and apple says the maximum ram is 8gb so take what they say with a grain of salt.

ps.The Life expectance of the retina models are 2 years, Apple is selling out what used to be a company that was dedicated to the users is now only worried about profit and made many if not all of the past models upgradeable parts now non upgradeable in the newer models. (i.e MacBook Pro Retinas and MacBook Air's) They have now started glueing the Retina models battery to the case with an abundant amount of glue and they are non replaceable with a life expectancy of 10K charges. Well you ask what does that mean? in means the average persons MacBook Pro Retina will only last 2 years (and degrade by $4 every time you plug it in) Apple needs to go back to how they were when the became who they once were.

Indeed, Apple is not what it sued to be. I am (was) an Apple fan but now I gave up!!

Actually it depends. If it's a late 2012 retina NO....if it's a non retina it can be updated to 16GB yes

correct, in the 2012 non-retina as you can absolutely upgrade to 2 8GB chips for a total of 16 but they can't be official Apple ram they have to be third-party ram in order to get 16GB Max like from crucial or high Knicks or one of those 3rd party manufacturer. This is common with minimax. Apple always says they'll only take up to 8GB but that's only if you use official Apple memory which is not what so ever required and won't even void your warranty by changing out

Well , i recently upgraded my late 2012 early 2013, disk to 500G (OWC kit) and have been running the machine since that time, without any problems. The Ram hower is not upgradeble but is sufficient for most programs. So take the 2 year warning with a grain of salt.

Simply, No. The MacBook Pro Retina Series has RAM that is soldered to the Motherboard. Just look at the iFixit Teardown and you will learn that simply, NO.

If it's a retina model late 2012 no you cannot upgrade or remove the ram it's soldered to the logic board. If it's a non retina late model 2012 yes you can upgrade it 2 16GB with an 8GB slot in each of the two ram slots.

Peter will be eternally grateful.