A series of Pavilion branded laptop computers manufactured by Hewlett-Packard from 2008 that featured a 17.3" diagonal display. Available with an AMD or Intel processor.

Laptop shuts off from overheating

My HP Pavillion dv7-1444us, AMD Turion x2, 64bit shuts off when it is on for about 10 minutes or less. When I touch the bottom, it feels very hot. Therefore, I think either the CPU fan is not working or the entire heatsink and CPU is not working anymore. Taking apart this laptop is time consuming and somewhat difficult because I have to open the bottom, then the top to get to the fan after removing all the tiny screws and cables. My question to someone who can help me is how can I be certain that it is definitely the cooling system that it is causing this problem?? Does anybody have the same problem with this HP dv7 series too?

Any help is appreciated!

Rex

Hi, seems like u need to open up ur laptop anyhow. So, open it up and remove the cpu heat sink, remove the cpu paste (which should be white in color) using a q-tip gently. Then apply arctic silver thermal paste, which should help in transferring the heat to the heat sink. While u r at it, also give a general cleaning of the motherboard with a paint brush gently. Write back on what u did. Good luck.

Your suggestion is greatly appreciated. I am still looking for the replacement cpu fan and heatsink on ebay. I have found that most of the fans for this particular model are for the Intel cpu, and there are two types, 2 wires and 3 wires plugs. In the mean time, I will have to take it apart and remove the fan to match the ones posted on ebay. This is the part that I don't like about laptops, because the most of the parts are not universal.

TO HELP YOU ON THE FANS LOOK AT YOUR FAN IT HARD O FIND THAT OEM FAN BUT IF IT A DV7 a dv6 IS A CLOSE REPLACEMENT THAT WORKSI HAVE DONE THIS MANY TIME ALL MY LAPTOPS

John Savio is right. Are you sure you need to replace the fan? You almost certainly don't need to replace any heatsinks - there's nothing to go wrong with them.

With the laptop turned on, when you put your hand near the vents, can you feel any breeze at all? Can you hear the fan spinning?

At worst, you'll need to replace the fan.

However, the thermal paste on overheating machines tends to become dry and brittle, and will need replacing.

if you don't know what this is, Google 'thermal paste', 'thermal interface material', or 'heat transfer compound'.

Chances are there will be a lot of dust and fluff in the fan, too. If it doesn't move, open the fan case, and check that there is no lint physically preventing it from turning - I've seen that quite a lot.

Hi, I have a Pavilion dv7

1st question: where do I find the rest of the model number?

2nd question: above the front left corner I feel it very warm after using it for a few hours. Is it caused by dust dirt inside the laptop?

..... if so, how do I take the back cover off to clean the dust?

Inputs are welcome !!!

Rex Quan will be eternally grateful.