iPhone 4

Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

iPhone 4 is working but screen is black?

so yesterday i dropped my phone and it was working fine when i picked it up to check it,, a few minutes later the screen goes black. it was still working because i was receiving phone calls and texts and mail, i even took a picture with it. i tried to hold the home and lock button, i tried holding the lock button while constantly pressing the home button, but i think the problem with this is that my home button barely worked when my phone did work anyway. i tried to reset it AND put it in dfu mode. nothing is working :( note that i cant take it to the shop because its jailbroken

Same thing has happened to mine so I restored it and my screen is still black and I can still hear everything. What do I do?

by michal

My home button doesnt work! please help me asap! :( what can i do to get my phone back on track!

by Sid

Same happened to me but with iphone 5c and only about .75 of the screen :(

by 18lucky17 the wannabe gamer

My iphone screen is black, it turns on screen still black makes sounds I have done the following and nothing is working still: Hard reset, took off the back and held down both top and bottom buttons.

by April Tracey

I just got my screen replaced (they tried two different screens) and this did the same thing, except the screen flashes back on when I take a screen shot. Which means the screen has the ability to work but something's not right...

by Doc Brown

You may have bumped the LCD connector off in the drop. To take the back glass off is easy and you don't have to do anything fiddly like removing screws etc inside the phone. You'll need a pentalobe screwdriver for taking the back off but that's it. Follow the guide for LCD repair linked under the phone to the right. Skip all the steps about taking out the board etc and locate the LCD connector...should be second from the left (digitiser is on top of it) Just give it a good push back into place and then retest/turn back on.

Worked for me taking the back off then the black plate at the top of the phone and pushed all the visible connectors down one clicked and hay presto the phone now works :) Thanks very much saved me a fortune My daughters iPhone 4 was working but the screen was just black!

by Joanne Miles

as suggested previously,just took back plate off and pushed everything down a few times, and it worked! Thanks so much for advice.

by mmelibrarian

Your option worked for me. For people not having the right screw driver. Use a nail to take button screws of.

by Barney

thanks alot i also have the same problem i thought it was totally broked down,still i can feel the vibration of my phone and i can also here its sounds,the thing is its all blacked out!..iv read your threads on how to fix it,totally works! thanks for all the suggestion it may sure help other users with the same problem..more powers thanks a lot!

by damayoonin

My screen turned black too! Also my home button is not working! What should i do?

by Sid

Most Helpful Answer

do not panic at all. if you can still here the sounds and if the phone is still working but the screen is black just do this:

hold the home and lock button together at the same time for 10-15 seconds and you'll see the apple logo. that will work 100% unless there is something seriously wrong :) hope i helped!

Dan that worked for me. thank you

by maryann

Thanks a ton.. holding it for 10-15 seconds works !! Regards Akkum

by akkum

This happened to me and holding the top and bottom buttons together worked I had new screen by a cheap repair shop and its never been the same since. Need new phone nut at least it works now

by michelle askwith

i got the same issues and by holding home and lock button togather it comes back. thnx maryann

by Waqas Ismail

I tried the home and lock button solution- it worked! I'm very happy. Thank you

by mark murphy

just put it upside down and give a smack on its back and it will work

Thank you I did that & it was working again once I restarted :)

by The FinalWarrior

just put it upside down give a smack on its back and it will be ok

by rafay mir

just put it upside down give a smack on its back and it will be ok January 11 by rafay mir Above suggestion worked perfectly for my Sony Xperia Z1 . One tight smack and it came to life

by Naser Jaidi

yup this works and my phone has come to life again

by Abdullah

Quick Solution:

My iPhone is the same, i can here that its working and can use Siri to text and make all my calls, but the screen is completely black until it randomly came back one day. Now the same issue has happened again this is the 3rd time actually but I've figured out a way which fixes it instantly...

.

Just hold the home button and tell Siri to turn up your screen brightness and its back!

.

Only works for Iphone 4+ you may also need IOS7. So connect to computer and update then try again. Hope this has helped some of you.

when my iPhone is black screen and working the sound. when I hold power botton and home bottom and I say tell siri turn up your screen brightness it work now I can see may application and other thank you very much for posting that

by Albari Yap

Even I too had a problem of screen blank, however, all the functions were working but no display.

Remedy was held the lock & button for few seconds and it became ok.

The problem was,it was gone to sleep mode due to too many applications were open.

To close the many applications, just click two times of home button and swipe upward all the applications. thats it.

Regards

rgk

9379190171

If you cannot hard restart due to faulty buttons just disconnect and reconnect the battery if screen is still black then it's either screen is not connected correctly or it's faulty

Thank you so much. Worked for me. I have defective home button. And find my Iphone setting is on so I can't restore it thru computer. My battery is 100% and I dont want to wait days. So I cant try anything else but this. And my phone back to life. :D :* :))))) Again, Thank you soooooooooooooooooooooo much!

by melankholiamelas

I need help with my no phone 4 bad

Even though it is jailbroken, Apple still has to service it for any hardware issues. If you can reseat the LCD and digitizer cable, that may fix the issue. Otherwise it probably needs a new screen assembly. While you're at it, might as well fix the home button too while you're down there. But if it's in warranty, Apple should replace it for free unless it is clearly physically damaged.

Pat

iFix SB

You can check the internal connectors beneath EMI shield if they are properly connected or not. If not they you may need to order a new replacement screen and replace it by watching some online YouTube tutorials.

David - I think adding anything here is a bit of a waste look how old the Question is and the level score the answer from Polly has. Clearly its the more logical.

by Dan

Holding the home button down and lock screen button for ages worked for me! had to do it twice, but its good now

take down the screen to see whethere the cable is broken or get loose.

if not . maybe the screen is broken.

I take the battery out blow the inside and put the battery back in. An easy way to fix the screen

I tried the home and lock button solution- it worked! Thank you. Lionel

My iPhone 4 turned black and I can still hear it and I tried the home button and power button but it did not work at all and I let it sit for a day on my tv and I tried to turn it back on but it still did not work at all.

linda will be eternally grateful.