1

Adam
71

Why is my power adapter fuse blowing?

Hi

I have a PowerBook G4 15" 1.67Ghz model A1138. The power adapter keeps blowing it's fuse every time I plug it in. When I plug it in to the computer, there are no lights on the charger ring, probably because the fuse has blown again. I replaced the plug fuse and removed the DC board connector from the logic board inside the computer, and the charger ring glows orange. I tested the voltage and it reads 24.7 volts. When I plugged the DC board connector back into the logic board, the fuse blew again.

I suspect there is a short circuit in the logic board, can anyone confirm that this might be the case? If it is, would I need to replace the entire logic board or is there any way of finding and fixing the short circuit?

Thanks :o)

Edited by: Ben Eisenman ( )

1

Nick

This is usually a problem with the Intercil power IC in this laptop, not the DC-in board. You're going to need to find out what part number is used for the power regulation and replace it. You may even have to replace other parts along the way first.

Edited by: Nick ( )

0

Jeff DeVaun
323

try a new power adapter.

Thanks, but I have already tried 2 different power adapters with the same result. Both adapters work fine on each of my 2 other laptops, being another PowerBook G4 and an iBook G4. There's definitely something not right inside the computer, else the DC board would not be working fine when disconnected from the logic board. Hope that makes sense? ;o)

Adam,