2

hugo
47

Is the optical drive connector PATA/ATAPI or SATA?

On the Apple Mac Book Pro A1226,

On the iFixit Guide about optical drive replacement, there is one type of connector :

PATA / ATAPI connector

But on the iFixit Guide about dual hard drive, the solution provided :

9.5 mm SATA Optical Bay SATA Hard Drive Enclosure

offers an other type of connector.

SATA Connector

How to know which connector is the correct one on my model ?

On iFixit, there is clearly a problem because the part sold to hold the disk on the optical bay cannot match.

Edited by: Jay Curts ( )

Just to clarify things here: Depending on your model of system (iMac or MacBook Pro) you could have a PATA (ATAPI) optical drive or you could have a SATA optical drive (newer systems). The HD carrier used to replace the optical drive holds a SATA HD in either case and converts the I/O in the older systems to connect to the PATA interface. In the case of the newer carrier it does not convert the I/O as it's not needed. Sales is looking at clarifying the description so this is clear between the carriers.

Dan,

1

Jay Curts

Hi Hugo,

This is the enclosure that you need:

9.5 mm PATA Optical Bay SATA Hard Drive Enclosure

You can verify it by checking your system info under Hardware>ATA . I have a A1226 as well and im sure that it is ATAPI and not SATA.

Well spotted

Add a hard drive to your laptop by replacing the optical drive with a second hard drive. Compatible with all MacBooks (excluding Early or Mid 2009 MacBooks, MacBook Unibody and MacBook Air) and all 15" MacBook Pros (excluding Unibody). 9.5 mm Internal ATA — 50+ available at 39.95 each.

Good catch I've notified the sales group so the products can be verified and descriptions can be corrected

Dan,

I've edited the optical drive replacement guide, now I'm just waiting to see if they approve it.

Jay Curts,

Jay which guide did you post the correction to?

Dan,