Model No. A1367 / 8, 16, 32, or 64 GB capacity

1269 Questions View all

not charging after water damage

Hi Steffen,

I'm in the same place. I have a touch-4g that's been water damaged and the charging circuit has failed.

I have soaked and cleaned the logic board in alcohol to remove any corrosion.

The unit is functional but the battery won't charge. I have the battery out of the unit and can charge it successfully with a seperate Li-ion charger.

Like you, I'm interested in attempting a DIY repair. I'm looking for anyone who has some details of what the charging curcuit looks like. It doesn't have to be the touch 4g specifically. My guess is that the circuit is probably similar across touch models and possibly some iPhones too.

On my unit, there's a tiny inductor next to the speaker connections on the backside of the lower logic board that looks suspicious (it runs extremely hot when the charger is plugged in), but I'd like to be armed with a few technical details before digging in with test equipment.

If you, or others following this thread, come across some basic info about the charging circuit in iPod touches please do share...

Thanks,

Robert

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0

Comments:

Hi Robert,

It seems that you have the same problem. Maybe you can take the same route. Or maybe you have to go a different one.

Here is what I would do: I would measure the battery (unplugged) and find out if it is (actually) gone. The technical question I cannot answer in this regard is: Could it be that the battery can be charged (as you experience it) but - at the same time - cannot hold its charge? As my battery indicated, it could not provide the voltage needed to switch on the iPod.

The battery of the iPod seems to have a kind of charging circuit visible attached to it (under the yellow tape). I believe that in my case this circuit unit was destroyed as it got in contact with pool water being pressed into the opening of the dock connector.

Nevertheless, as your diagnosis indicates, the problem might be linked to one or more components on the logic board. Unfortunately, I did not do any further research after I experienced success. Maybe others will be able to help you.

by

Add a comment

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

Robert Miller, the inductor (filter) most likely gets hot due to an over charge from somewhere else. The reason why I say this is, that if it would be a bad part, it would not work at all, therefore would be cold. The only thing that I can offer right now is an image about the charging circuit I downloaded from somewhere and can not give credit for. Anyhow, I would still change the battery. There is a quick, even so non-scientific way of checking, test your logic board without the battery. Connect the LCD into the circuit board and plug in a USB port, if your iPod still gets hot without the battery, then that means your logic board is defective. If it works okay, you need is a new battery. Hope this helps, good luck.

Block Image

Was this answer helpful?

Score 1
Add a comment

Add your answer

Robert Miller will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 2

Past 7 Days: 8

Past 30 Days: 45

All Time: 3,992