0

mike
11

Possible to replace battery?

So I have a MacBook Pro 13" Unibody back from 2009 and I need to replace the battery. I already know that's the problem but Apple wants entirely too much money to fix it. They say it can't be manually replaced but I have my doubts. I just don't see why not. If anyone knows a way I can replace the battery myself for cheaper then they'll do it let me know. Is it really impossible? Or is that just some scam Apple put out to get more money from us?

Edited by: mike ( )

3

Nicholas
723

The short answer? Yes. You can replace the battery yourself.

As a matter of fact, iFixit has a guide to show you how to do just that. Located here:

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009 Battery Replacement

And yeah, the battery being "manually inaccessible" is a complete fabrication. Though Apple does tend to try to make it as difficult as possible by throwing as many obscure screws with uncommon heads of variable sizes as they can find into their machines.

You'll see what I mean when you read the guide.

This particular model uses the illusive Tri-wing Y1 Screwdriver to try to keep its owners out. Luckily for you, the iFixit store happens to sell the tool you need (you know, in case collecting obscure and rarely used screwdriver heads isn't a hobby of yours).

Here it is:

Tri-wing Y1 Screwdriver

They also throw in a bunch of randomly assorted Phillips head screws. More common, but iFixit sells the tool for that as well just in case:

Phillips #00 Screwdriver

The price of those two tools plus shipping and handling plus the price of a few hours of your time should at least be marginally cheaper than Apple's battery replacement service.

Oh, and here is the battery if you don't already have one:

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2009/Mid 2010/Early 2011/Late 2011/Mid 2012) Battery

Good luck. And happy hunting.

Edited by: Nicholas ( )

Phillips #00 Screwdriver

Standard Phillips screwdriver used to take apart laptops. Swivel top handle with precision tip driver. — 50+ available at 4.95 each.

Tri-wing Y1 Screwdriver

Three pointed screwdriver. Fits many tamper-proof three pointed fastener heads, including those found on MacBook Pro batteries. Similar to, and acceptable replacement for, Apple Tool 922-8991. Swivel top handle with precision tip driver. — 50+ available at 5.95 each.

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2009/Mid 2010/Early...

Apple Original OEM Battery. Replace your dying or broken battery with this OEM replacement. Compatible with all Mid 2009 13" Unibody MacBook Pros, all Mid 2010 13" Unibody MacBook Pros, all Early 2011 13" Unibody MacBook Pros, all Late 2011 13" Unibody Ma — 50+ available at 119.95 each.

2

mayer
200k

The advice Nicholas gave you is very good but let's check to see exactly which machine you have before spending ay money. Please give us the last three figures of your serial number so we can double check what you need.

0

Paul Gable
1

Since the battery costs $119, I think it makes much more sense to throw on the extra $80 and let Apple do it for you! Seriously, risk ruining your laptop to save $80 is pretty dumb!!

0

gardiner
1

Dear Paul, the money issue doesn't tell the whole story. I inquired today for a battery replacement of a 15' Unibody and i was told to leave the laptop 5 days in the shop (Apple authorized reseller). Two issues here: (1) why should i leave open access to my data for 5 days to someone i don't know? (2) What about if i have to work with the laptop in the meanwhile? And, even worse, i can't order the battery through the shop, wait for the delivery and then give in the mac.

This Month: 1,295