1

Armin Tabari
13

Audio jack problem, no speaker sound, red light

My MacBook has no sound unless through ear phone or external speaker. when I play a song a red light appears inside my audio jack and no sound. the volume controller in the menu bar is grayed out. I tried poking into the audio input jack as mentioned in many forums with no luck. Can I fix it by opening my MacBook? is there any way to fix it except poking?!

As a workaround USB or Bluetooth audio works independent of onboard audio. A dongle often has a microphone included with line in/out ports.

machead3,

6

mayer

The red light in the headphone jack means that the MacBook Pro thinks that an optical audio cable is plugged into the port. Try unplugging and replugging a headphone plug into the port several times. There is a tiny sensor inside the port that determines whether the port operates in optical or analog mode. Plugging something analog in is supposed to trigger the sensor and restore the analog signal.

+1 for a clear answer. Ralph

rj713,

3

greg
37

just had the same problem RIGHT NOW - i took an air duster can (those pressurized cans that are made for dusting computer components) and i blasted the headphone jack....worked like a charm...i guess there was some dust or debris in there that got in the way and confused the computer's jack....i would suggest trying THIS method before sticking anything INTO the jack or blowing with your mouth (in fact, with all due respect, DON'T blow with your mouth...saliva will get in and RUIN the jack and sticking a screwdriver into the jack will only work against you, imho)

all the best!

Edited by: greg ( )

Thnx mayer this tip worked for me.

janwillemvanwees,

2

Matt Barnes

This seems to be a fairly common problem. There is another thread about it here.

2

alanmb1988
25

Put a screwdriver into the jack... you will feel a little piece of metal. Try to open that piece with your MacBook turned on, music on... and you will hear the sound when the piece of metal has in the correct place.

IT'S VERY EASY. I made that in less of a minute.

Sry for my english, i hope can help. Cheers!

2

hatinderpal singh
25

just press shift+control+alt+Power button and the headphone will be corrected ...the red light will go...no need of any apparatus ..

Would you please give a link on this combination?

mayer,

1

Alice
13

i fixed mine without paying for pressurized air cans. it worked like a charm after brutally and angrily sticking the jack in and out a few times, as i was tired of having trouble with my macbook. now it works perfectly. :))

Edited by: Alice ( )

1

Ken W
13

The only things left to consider before Apple repair are USB audio and Bluetooth audio. I got a Syba "usb audio card", which is a little dongle that goes in the USB port and supplies headphone & microphone jacks, off Amazon for $8 shipped, and it's been great. Well, except it is a bit wide and blocks the adjacent port, so I also got a 6-inch usb cable off eBay for $4 shipped. Probably for more $$ you could get a Bluetooth audio reciever or headset, and ditch the connection entirely. Good luck.

1

hamood khalid
13

Awesome (temporary) solution

Go to System Preferences-Sound- Outpot- look down Use audio port for

Change audio Outpot to audio input

So this will let the computer use its internal speakers for all outputs

0

Ken W
13

The Apple 3.5mm headphone jack may have multiple different failure modes, since it contains 4 equally flimsy electrical contacts. Staring into the glowing red Cylon eye, they are: 2 "sleeve" contacts (nearest you), one at 9 o'clock and one at 3 o'clock (positions on an imaginary 12-hour analog clock dial); 1 "ring" contact (farther in) at 12 o'clock; and 1 "tip" contact (all the way in) also at 3 o'clock.

The one plaguing my Late 2006 MacBook is the tip contact. Tugging on it with a bent-tipped safety pin while watching through a magnifying glass works, but only until the next time I unplug the headphones, and so is too impractical. Jostling it with things like air, suction, Q-Tips, toothpicks, ballpoint pen inserts works for some, but not for me. What works for me 100% of the time is inserting a 1/8" metal rod all the way and then dragging it out while applying moderate pressure in the 9 o'clock direction (towards the MagSafe connector). There is no problem using metal, even powered on, because headphone circuitry supplies no power and is protected against short circuits and static electricity. Just be gentle.

The shank end of a 1/8" drill bit works well, and burying the business end in a bottle cork prevents it from cutting you (it is sharp). But I settled on a piece of nail, snipped down to an inch and filed slightly rounded. As a bonus, it fits into the little plastic clip on the MagSafe cable so it is always handy.

0

Ryan
1

Toothpick trick did not work for me, or anything similar. So, I took it apart to get a look at the logic bord. I reverse-engineered the connections I could access from the bottom of the PCB under the audio jack. While doing so, I found that you can jump two connections (one is sleeve ground and the other I believe is a connection from the switch inside the jack. After doing so, the headphone jack will not work as an audio output for either analog or optical, but the internal speakers will work fine. This is b/c the switch is basically bypassed, the macbook will never know whether there is a headphone plugged in to the jack or not. This fix is fine for me, especially since I had no other option b/c I'm out of warranty and I'm not spending $400 on a new logic board haha.

BTW, I'm a Ph.D. Computer Engineering student, I didn't just do this all willy-nilly out of the blue, haha. You do need a decent sodlering iron to do this and you must make sure you have a very small gauge wire (insulated). This fix can always be undone... if you need to for some reason. Below is an imgur link to a couple photos I took of the area and connections to jump.

NOTE: This is one a late 2008, a1278 MacBook unibody. The macbook pros may be slightly different, but you can figure it out with a connectivity meter and some fiddling maybe. :) They also could be exactly the same, I don't know.

http://rmn87.imgur.com/macbook_audio_jac...

Good luck!

0

Earth
1

it all not work for me . But it happen after my friend put his moshi headphones like this

http://store.moshimonde.com/vortex.html

on my mac and when i came back home, i cant here any sound

0

gapin
1

OH!!!! Thanks guys!!!

It worked for me with the toothpick.

I called yesterday for help to apple and they offer me help for 49 €. I said no thanks. When I had an apple care support, never was helpful their advices. So I decided this time do it for my self.

My dear Macbook pro is wonderful!!!

0

julsiebear
1

Ken W's answer worked perfectly for me!

I inserted an allen key (that L-shaped tool thingy) into the jack and pulled it out slowly, while gently pushing on the 9-o'clock wall of the jack. The internal speakers immediately started working again.

0

kenzaalaouisoce
1

I had the same problem and I looked it up on the internet. Neither the toothpick trick nor the pull the jack in and out worked... But now, i get no sound even when I plug the headphones. I guess I must have broken something while trying the toothpick trick. Anyone got the same problem after trying this? Is there a solution?

0

Maria Lina Duarte
1

I used a toothpick and worked!! THANKS EVERYONE, have to finish a video tonight and was desperate. I had to push it a bit harder towards the end of the jack, and the sound went out after I used a pair of JVC earbuds. Will stick to the Apple ones from now on. Cheers!

0

Joanne
1

None of these suggestions work with my Mac Book Pro - I will occasionally get audio when using headphones.

When I go to System Preferences/ Sound Pane/ Output - There are no internal speakers listed- It says "digital out" "optical digital-out port" Then below "settings for the selected device" it says

"the selected device has no out put controls"

Someone also suggested going to folder: library/preferences/audio and to delete the TWO files in the folder............I have many many files in this folder??

Any other thoughts besides going to an Apple Store for repair??

0

larossmann
43

Completely shameless, but I only mention because no one else is selling this.

You can replace the jack by itself with some soldering skill. On the A1150/A1211/A1226/A1260, you can replace the board which is easily available on eBay. For Unibody models, the jacks are nearly impossible to come by.

http://www.rossmannsupply.com/unibody-he...

We sell the jacks, 100+ in stock. Just be careful not to muck up any of the chips nearby. Kapton tape is your friend here.

@larossman, I'm on a Macbook Pro 8,1, will these jacks work on my version?

clinisbut,

raulferras - For future reference you posted a comment in the place where only Answers belong. Please use the Add Comment link.

machead3,

0

wakinbaken
1

Apple told me I needed to replace the logic board. Repair quote was $822 dollars... I fidgeted around with a toothpick as some youtubers recommended, after several failed attempts the light is gone, my speakers play music and I'm $822 richer. Really disappointed with apple on this one.

0

andrew
1

The only thing that worked for me was to open the macbook, open the actual jack with a wirecutter. We can then clearly see the mechanism, and I just had to poke it with a toothpick.

Has been working like a charm for a few months now.

I downloaded a video off youtube a while ago and couldn't find it, so I just uploaded it there:

http://videobin.org/+7dy/9og.html

0

robindfernandes
1

Thanks Ralph... it surely works!!!!

what did you read my answer and then make this response 4 years after the question was asked?

mayer,

0

Ajith
1

Thanks to everyone, Safety pin worked for me. I had to push it hard. I was rotating clockwise. It started working. :)

-1

Wally
1

Blow into the headphone jack a few times, worked for me.