0

Sebastian V
1

How to install windows (bootcamp) if I dont have my optical drive?

Discussion Topic

I will install a SSD drive in my optical bay, and a 500 Gb hard drive at 7400 rpm in the primary hard drive bay on my MacBook Core 2 Duo.

In the SSD be installing the operating system (Mac OS X), but I need to install Windows XP on a partition on the hard disk but bootcamp does not allow the installation from a USB optical drive, how I can do?

Edited by: Taylor Arnicar ( )

This question was migrated from http://meta.ifixit.com/Answers.

iRobot,

2

mayer

Go to Applications folder > Utilities> Boot Camp Assistant and set it up.

Thanks, yes I know that, but when I'm going to install, the installation program runs and start to load the system files, I get an error and the machine restarts. I get this error only when Im trying to install windows via USB optical drives (optical units powered by USB and also AC-DC). When I try the installation from the internal superdrive, I dont get any error.

Sebastian V,

I hate to ask the obvious, but why don't you just use the internal drive that doesn't give you any errors? Otherwise use a firewire external drive.

mayer,

I've already set my Boot Camp, and I used the internal SuperDrive, but... wouldn't one of those external drives with "USB boot functionality" work? I tell that because my CoreDuo, when I boot with my external BD attached, seeks it at boot.

Stefano Gigante,

In response to Mayer, I am replacing my superdrive drive for a SSD, I do to improve the speed of my Mac, which currently do not have enough money to buy a new MacBook. therefore could not use my internal optical drive. Stefano, I have tried several external optical drives (Samsung, LG, HP, even a modified macbook air superdrive) and all I have the same problem. And is not the installation CD of windows. Any solution?

Sebastian V,

Aside from following this hint with a reputable external driver certfied for USB booting, I'm drawing a blank: http://riactant.wordpress.com/2009/02/25...

Stefano Gigante,

Add Your Reply