0

Stefano Gigante

Removing stripped screw from LCD Panel assembly: best strategy?

The machine is a Core Duo, last serial numbers RVMN.

While I was trying to execute the Fast LCD replacement guide, I was stuck because one of the topmost screws, the one closer to the iSight, on the left size is stripped. Basically, it hasn't its proper cross shaped head anymore, just some sort of conical hole.

I tried to get a drill, but the man who own the drill warned me that "The heat could even melt your plastic upper casing", so I was scared.

The space to work seems too small for a Dremel... has anyone removed a screw in such a tight spot?

Edited by: Stefano Gigante ( )

4

mayer

Use a new sharp drill bit made for cutting metal, not a wood bit. Go slow a let the bit do the work, it should cut the metal not smoke it. Please go to the guide an give me a link to exactly which screw you're talking about.

Here's some other suggestions on screw removal.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/...

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-M... Step 50, the one at the left of the iSight, circled in red. I fear damaging the LCD itself or the plastic case by drilling on it..

Stefano Gigante,

There are enough screws in this thing that leaving this one out probably won't matter much.

mayer,

I know. My issue is about drilling close to the LCD: won't I end with a damaged monitor or case? If it's doable, I'd do a drill after the holidays.

Stefano Gigante,

Use a drill press for better bit control. The bit should be the same size as the screw shaft.

mayer,

After holidays I'll ask for that drill, or find up a body shop willing to drill the bugger out for me. Then, I'll get all fixed nice. I can wait a bit... but your advice was precious, as usual.

Stefano Gigante,

1

Brett Hartt

You could always give ifixit's screw extractors a shot. They work pretty well in tight spaces.

Precision Screw Extractor Set

Four different sized extractor tools to help remove fasteners or screws with stripped heads. Driver head is claw shaped for maximum grip. Sizes range from 1.1mm to 2.0mm. — 50+ available at 19.95 each.

0

panda111
1

ainol professional brand website !