0

Evans Thompson
1

Cleaning fans, other tasks to do?

My fans run much of the time now. Looking at iStat Pro, they're at 6190 each. The bottom gets extremely hot after awhile, and it's worse when using Boot Camp into Windows 7.

I've decided it's time to clean the fans. After all, the machine is 40 months old and has been through a lot.

I've looked at the guides for replacing fans, so I know what's involved to get there, and I'm comfortable with that. The fans seem to work fine (no noise, etc), they just run all the time.

Are there any other tasks I should do while I have it disassembled or things I should check? I want to make sure I don't have to check or replace the heat sink if I don't need to.

I was also thinking this was a good opportunity to install one of the OWC Data Doubler kits to ditch the Optical drive for a SSD. You know, since I have the computer open and all. :)

Thoughts does that sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Evans

1

Jake Devincenzi

Hey Evans,

Good call on cleaning the fans! That should definitely help out the performance of your 40 month old machine. The other two upgrades you proposed seem like great ideas to us — perfectly reasonable.

One other suggestion for while you're in there, if you haven't already, is to replace the thermal paste. Apple products have been known to ship out with very little thermal paste, so replacing it after 40 months is a great idea. Here is the type of thermal paste that we usually use, along with some techniques for installing new thermal paste.

Have fun inside your laptop! Happy Fixing!

Arctic Silver Thermal Paste

3.5 gram Arctic Silver thermal paste tube. Thermal paste forms a continuous, conductive layer between a processor and its head sink, improving cooling performance and keeping your important chips from overheating. Whenever you remove a heat sink, it's ver — 50+ available at 8.95 each.