1

mayer

How to eliminate the passcode and reset

I got in a 16GB A1219 iPad. The mother told me her child had tried to jailbreak it and locked it up. I plugged it into my 10.7.2 MacBook Pro and opened iTune and get the message "You must enter your passcode on the iPad before it can be used with itunes". I then get the option to retry or cancel. I read Oldturkey's answer but don't have a right click or any idea of how to proceed. http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/77141...

Edited by: mayer ( )

3

osvaldo

Omg, you have a big big problem with the firmware Richard, it's possible to do it into many ways, the way to fix it is to restore the firmware. Since the ipad is frozen, you should put it into DFU MODE.To put the iPad into DFU MODE, you need to press the power button and hold, wait till the device shuts down. Then insert the cable with the home button pressed down. iTunes will now recognize the iPad and ask you if you want to restore.You have to download the firmware, here's iOS 5.0.1 or below (http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/) to a computer. To install an older version press the option key on your well build apple keyboard, an example would be ios 4.3.2 or if you want to upgrade to ios 5.0.1 you don't have to download any firmware because iTunes will automatically do it. It's much easier if you restore an apple device with another apple device. MOST OF THE TIME DUMB PC WON'T RESTORE IT. The easy way to upgrade without downloading any firmware is to do it by itunes(remember, itunes will always going to updated to the latest firmware.) To put the iPad into DFU MODE, you need to press the power button and hold, wait till the device shuts down. Then insert the cable with the home button pressed down. iTunes will now recognize the iPad and ask you if you want to restore.

Edited by: osvaldo ( ) , mayer ( )

I have edited your answer extensively to, hopefully, make it more comprehensible. Let me know if I've succeeded.

mayer,

Thanks so much for the directions..You are a genius.

Nii,

Thanks it worked perfectly. I have a friend's old apple iPAD Gen II but he forgot the pass code and his recovery mail had being hacked. "how careless". he begged me to pull the strings out of the iOS throat and wipe it for a new start. I tried all week but the pass code was on my way. I tried entering the wrong passcode for more than 9 times thinking it will block out and reset wiped clean but NO, the iPad was counting up forever up to 11 times, giving a boring 60minutes interval to wait between each pass code. Then I read your solution here. Its wonderful. its fast. The only aspect that took my time was updating my iTunes to 11.0. I have a Windows 8 PC running on a normal Dell laptop. I had installed iTunes a long while ago. I shut down the iPad leaving the USB cable end still in the laptop and the iPad end out. After the iPad is fully shut down. I pressed down the iPad home button firmly and continuously while I slipped the USB connector into the iPAd. It quickly recognise the iPad is in recovery mode. You have to start the iTunes on your PC before starting this process. Make sure your iPad battery is at least 50%. The whole process (restoring and installing iPad firmware) should take somewhere between 5 to 10 minutes. Thanks OSVALDO. I have just written your name on my street wall grafitti.

creditnigeria,

0

irepairseattle
1

Plug the iPad into iTunes on the computer and Put the device in DFU mode and restore it. Hold the home button and power button for 10 seconds exactly at 10 seconds remove the power button but continue holding the home button until you have a black screen and iTunes recognizes it in recovery. Restore and good luck

irepairseattle, please refrain from placing your URL or links to your own website in the answer. This can be construed as spamming and thus violates ifixit policies. Especially when you answer questions the same way as a previously accepted answer.

I've been scrounging the internet all evening for a solution to this problem, and you seem to be the only person who knows how to genuinely fix it. Thank you so much, you absolute legend. You're now on my Christmas card list.

Mark Knights,