0

Rick
1

LCD screen is dim and can not adjust

Spilled coffee on the vent area.. Computer works great, External monitor work. Just can see the LCD.. From an angle I can see but no Backlight adjust. Is it logic board or display cable???

Edited by: machead3 and oldturkey03 ( )

3

lemerise

On the Macbook A1342 (LED driven display) the inverter signal (backlight lightning) goes thru the same cable than the video cable so there's only one socket and connector on the logic board for the two functions (video and lightning). The liquid spill could have affected this logic board area (upper right of the main board). I would remove the MB bottom panel (8 philips screws), disconnect the internal battery, remove the connector from the socket and carefully inspect it and report what you see. Also look for corrosion or liquid stains on the logic board.

Be careful with the display cable cause it's very fragile and easy to break if you don't remove it the right way. Check this iFixit manual and pay attention to steps 9 and 10.

MacBook Unibody Model A1342 Display Data/Camera Cable Replacement

Edited by: lemerise ( )

Did that and cleaned the liquid off the board.

Rick,

Did you check the display socket/connector ?

lemerise,

Yes I did. I did the flashlight test. I can see it that way. I just don't know if it's the logic board or I need to replace the monitor

Rick,

Sorry but the issue cannot be determined without testing the unit with known working parts. I would say that the display logic board connector (or inverter circuitry) is probably faulty but I could be wrong. If the unit was in my shop right now I could identify the problem in 15 minutes by swapping the logic board with one I have in stock.

lemerise,