2

Gary
25

Is the display the same for the 4 and 4s

Just wondering if I will beable to replace a broken 4s screen with a 4 screen.

Edited by: oldturkey03, ABCellars, and pollytintop ( )

8

Scott Head

The connectors are the same for the digitizer and LCD and the screen will function properly between the models but the parts are physically different and will not fit either way. The sensor layout is also different which would cause the phone to not work properly. The home button is also different.

In short, you can't do it.

You say the parts are physically different, would you please elaborate on that? I've read another post here on iFixit implying that at least the LCD can be interchanged. It would be nice to have a post here on iFixit to refer people to that explains the differences

ABCellars,

The LCD and digitizer are fused together on the iPhone 4S still just like the iPhone 4. The LCD cannot be separated from the digitizer without breaking one of the components. That means that you cannot replace just the LCD or just the digitizer individually. You have to replace the entire assembly. Like I said above, the connectors for the LCD and the digitizer by themselves will work on either phone. But you would not be able to physically install the part because the bezel around the assembly has a different layout when it comes to where it screws into the mid-frame. The sensor window is slightly different as well so the ambient light sensor and proximity sensor may not work properly.

Scott Head,

6

Andrew Blahnik
65

I have been replacing iphone screens for a couple years now. 3G 3GS 4 and 4S.

I have had to substitute a 4 for a 4S and vice versa a couple times. Of course, it is best to use the proper model whenever possible, but here's a trick if you absolutely have to use the wrong screen [and therefore the wrong bezel].

Chopping off the brackets can be very hard to do unless you have the right sort of metal cutter / industrial scissors.

Instead, you can carefully remove the bezel from both the cracked (original) screen and the new screen and reattach the original bezel to the new screen.

A couple things to be careful of:

If you pull too hard on the bezel, you will snap it / crack it. Not the end of the world (you can still use it), but be slow and deliberate when pulling away from the screen/LCD.

Also, if you pull too hard and with too much force, you might crack the LCD and have the dreaded bleeding ink drip look negating your whole endeavor.

Carefully start by pulling on a corner with your thumb pushing the screen away and your fingers pulling toward you on a corner bracket.

Make sure you pull the sticky tape along with the bezel and keep it in place as you go (it will try to pull away). This is extremely important as that sticky tape is the ONLY thing holding the screen to the rest of the body.

This is a drastic step, but it does work.

I know I have replaced 4 screens with 4S without a problem. I can't say with confidence that it works the other way around.

If you're getting white lines running through your LCD, you've probably bought a cheap part.

It's best to buy a part (ebay, for example) that is held by a warehouse distributor in the USA. This ensures that you can track the part, hold someone accountable and usually expect a more timely delivery.

If you order the part from Hong Kong, you're ordering from a black hole. Not to say that it won't work, but you're taking a little more of a chance.

Also, DON'T BE CHEAP! Spend the extra $10-20 bucks and get yourself a nice screen. Don't just buy the one that's the best deal.

Andrew

Andrew Blahnik is correct. I have the 4S but I accidentally ordered the 4 screen. The only difference is the brackets; luckily I had the broken 4S screen to transfer the bracket around the bezel and the screen. Transferred the brackets and the tape adhesives and I was good to go.

Sukjune Hong,

2

Gianni Sergi
25

both are the same ( same connectors ) only the bezel is different, but you can take out the 4s bezel and put it around the 4G bezel ...

1

Anna
13

As far as i know, iphone 4 4s lcd screen are not the same.

1

Jonas
45

Anna, Yes they are. I've physically tested an assembly from an iPhone 4 to my 4S and it works.

ALL you need to do is replace the plastic bezel so it fits.

One thing I did not test was the light sensor to see if it was compatible, but i will do that soon!

1

tamhoangngo
681

This has probably been beaten to death but I thought I'd put in my two cents. Working in a repair shop for these phones all day, I can say with all certainty that using an iPhone 4 display can be used in place of a 4S display. What we have done when we ran out of the 4S displays is substituted with a Verizon iPhone 4 display. We use that one because the hold-down legs are nearly identical except for one which is impeded by the sim card slot on the 4S. We just simply snip that one off and everything else bolts in properly. As stated above by a few people, the ambient light sensor does not work as the 4S has a different location for it.

1

samanthasheppard91
13

It works swapping iPhone 4s LCD with iPhone 4 no doubt just have to swap mid bezel frame from the LCD from your iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4 s everything works apart from one little fault and it's not a used or cheap replacement screen it's from apple direct it will have a very faint white line running along the top of screen never bothers me but I would recommend always using the correct parts for the specific model to avoid any defects this is only essential if you really have to use a slightly different modelled screen hope that helps ;)

0

steve
47

The connectors are the same but as mentioned above, the 4S has a small round window for the ambient light sensor, adjacent to the purple/blue windows for the proximity sensor/s. So the 'automatic brightness' setting wont work.

Also the screw lugs for the surrounding frame are in different places.

I have even seen some cheaper units where a 4 screen/digitiser has been placed on a 4S frame and sold as a 4s!

0

lantzero
13

I just installed an iPhone 4s screen assembly on an iPhone 4 and it worked perfectly, I tested the ambient sensor during a call and it worked fine too.

What I had to do is to remove the two legs at the top and the legs on both sides (I tried to cut the legs but in the end I removed the whole metal thing). The I could use the bottom legs and put the screws.

Edited by: lantzero ( )

i think you tested the proximity sensor during a call

iwillfix,

0

Matthew Prater
1

Just did this swap on my ATT/GSM phone. Plastic bezel must be switched. Auto-brightness is not working.

UPDATE: 2 months later, still working fine. Cheap imposter screen drop-shipped from China has cracked, and it always had white horizontal lines due to cheap LCD (buy a real OEM one), but otherwise, still working.

Edited by: Matthew Prater ( )

0

TIto
1

I have also replace 4s in 4 , but I get alot of horizontal lines , I will test to reload the os ,, has it happend to someone else?

sounds like a broken lcd

iwillfix,

0

Applied PC Solutions
1

I just installed an iPhone 4S screen on an iPhone 4. I had to cut several of the legs off in order for it to fit properly, but once it was in everything seems to be working perfectly. However, cutting off the legs that don't fit means that the top part of the screen doesn't have anything holding it down except for the tape.

0

Thomas
1

I just replaced my 4s screen with a 4 cause i ordered the wrong one. But now my screen its self isnt coming on. I can hear notifications and all that, but the screen is blank...

0

Marian B
1

I would like to ask you one very simple question :) Can I use my old iPhone4 GSM ! screen in new iPhone4S GSM, please ? Because, today I did this, changed the bezel, installed everything ... and turned on my 4S and first I saw "white apple" (perfect) but than some display BIG problem ... many many horizontal lines, changing colors ... Did I something wrong or I can not use screen from GSM iPhone 4 in 4S ? Thanks.

Edited by: Marian B ( )

Not the same

enjoyxiao,

0

Marco
1

I don't think is possible I change the bezel and install a iphone 4s LCD on iPhone 4 and it turn on but is blank no logo I hard reset and nothing all I got left to do is connect it to iTunes did anyone get it to work properly

0

James Morse
1

I just replaced a 4S screen with a screen from a 4. All you have to do is switch out the bezel from the old screen.

0

Max Oden
1

Just replaced the screen on my unlocked iPhone 4 with a screen from the iPhone 4S I use for parts. What's been said here is correct- just swap the bezel and the screen will fit. I'll also note that you need to transfer the contact on the original button to the button that's built in to the 4S screen. Also, no problems with any of the electronics... ambient light sensor and screen work perfectly.

So will the ambiance sensor work or not? I see two answers...one yes one no...so which one? Thanks! :)

Gan Samuel,

0

Flip Rep
1

Salut,

Just did it yesterday, works fine but I get faded vertical lines (not horizontal). The colors are also slightly lighter (not as punchy as OEM 4S screen). No light sensor. I am ok with Thatcher repair as I had the part on stock, I can live with it.

I forgot to mention that I get some ghosting in the background. Whatever will be displayed in bright white like the battery percentage per example will be ghosted and will show on dark background. I can see it when I select camera and then just toss the camera on the side with my thumb so the pure black background appears. Does anybody else has experienced that? Thank you.

Flip Rep,

0

Danielle
1

okay, I used a iphone 4s screen on a iphone 4. I cut off middle leg on the right side of the screen so it will fit. I wasnt able to screw the two top corners in because the holes of the screen do not go up enough. My screen still turns black but the phone still turns on and makes noises, calls, vibrates, etc.

Is there something I did wrong?

I have been searching and I cant find anything. I've tried shutting it on and off, holding the home button after for several seconds, and taking the whole thing apart and checking for debris and the same thing happens...black screen.

• when I was cutting the leg off the screen, I did accidentally cut the inside of the screen and my friend threw the phone on the ground from the second floor before i performed surgery because he was angry.

If you don't want to have more troubles during the installation, you'd better get a new screen for the iPhone 4s. Or you'd better ask help professional to replace it.

Sarah,

0

AJ Hanson
1

Just letting every one know i have an iphone 4 and i put a 4S screen on it becuase i did not know the difference .. everything fit perfectly and like one of the top answers said the proxcimity sensor does not work but either than that everything else works fine

This Month: 2,995