0

christine
1

Cracked screen replacement advice

My screen is cracked, Apple tech quoted my $900+ 2 years ago for the repair. Would I just need to order the screen and get my tech friend who is qualified to install it? or would I actually need to get the whole top half?

The screen is still useable it just has a wicked crack with 3 "arms" that reach from the top to the bottom/side.

Edited by: osvaldo, machead3, rj713, and pollytintop ( ) , Brian ( )

3

mayer

Christine, you don't need a tech friend. You can do this yourself. That's what the guides are for. Be independent, "woman up". Just order the correct part by using the method Brian showed you, a simple Google. Next order the tools, for under $15 here: 26 Bit Driver Kit

Then here's the guide I wrote that will show you how to do it. Repairing MacBook Core 2 Duo Installing LCD & Inverter (fast method) A1181

If you need anymore help I will be glad to hold your hand

Remember "Yes we can", after all 70 % of single women in the USA, voted for this philosophy:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2008...

Edited by: mayer ( )

26 Bit Driver Kit

Ultra-portable screwdriver kit for repairing electronics, smartphones, tablets, computers, and game consoles. Contains: 4 mm Driver Handle 60 mm Driver Extension Metal Tweezers Flathead sizes 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 mm Phillips sizes #000, #00, #0, #1, #2 Torx siz — 50+ available at 19.95 each.

1

Brian

just the screen.Yes your friend can install it. Just make sure and order the correct screen for it.

Type this in Termainal and it will tell you the model number for your screen:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

( im fairly sure a screen for this model if ordering here from ifixit would work)

+ mayer is right, just answering the question, just be careful.... being patient doing something like this is best, and it should take awhile..... an apple spudger or two couldn't hurt either...... also paper cups with numbers you can put the screws in to keep organized for each step might be helpful and is something i do when attempting a repair for the first time..... a large well lit work area, wood table etc, would be good.

Brian,

+ I would try to do the complete repair in one sitting. Use your digital camera to take pictures for your own reference. Fixing something yourself really gives you a feeling of self confidence that nothing else does.

mayer,