0

cortech
1

I get a white screen upon power on.

I have an iMac A1224, when it is powered on, the apple boot noise occurs, then a white screen comes onto the monitor.

It appears that it sounds like the hard drive is still going, but not everytime.

I have reset the RAM, CTRL, ALT p-r does nothing. Unplugged power for a day, still white screen.

Is there anything I can do myself? I am a technician and this Mac has been brought into the shop. If I can do something, good, if not where to send it for a quote?

Thank you all.

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , mayer ( )

Please help!

cortech,

Please give the last three letters of your serial number, located on the bottom of the stand. Are you a PC or Mac tech?

mayer,

ZE5 is serial number and I am awaiting a customer to bring the system disk in!

cortech,

I have already tried all Key holddown startup combinations.CTRL-ALT-P-R and others. Nothing changes the white screen. I do not have a cable to hook to an external monitor. I can get one I guess. Mac specific cable I presume.

cortech,

Did you get the system installation disk? BTW - I don't work on PCs because I don't know what I'm doing with them.

mayer,

3

mactech plus

Past history on the intel machines ( macbooks and iMacs) is when the hard drive goes bad, you get the white / grey screen and you might or may not get the computer to boot to the DVD. The thing that has worked for me on 90 percent of my clients machines is I have replaced the Hard Drive.

mactech is correct, I forgot this one. Disconnect the hard and see if it will boot from the DVD to test.

mayer,

3

mayer

Apple iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 20-Inch (Early 2008) Specs

Identifiers: Early 2008 - MB323LL/A - iMac8,1 - A1224 - 2210

I'll change the iMac icon to the correct one. Hook it up to an external monitor and see if you get the desktop. It sounds like it may be hanging on boot up. Try holding down the Shift key on startup to try starting in Safe Mode. Try what remac said, select the drive on the left and run the repair in Disk Utilities till it runs clear.

Hold down the mouse button while starting up to eject the disk. If you have another Mac start this one up in Target mode and see if you can repair the drive. Here's how: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661

mayer,

1

remacberlin

Start it from a installation DVD. Hold down the "c" key with the disk insertet. If it starts this way go to the second screen (the one after the language choice) and select Utilities -> Disk Utility.

Verify the soundness of the HDD.

Please post the results.

Ok, got disk not 4 seconds after posting that...amazing. Anyway, it sounds like it is reading the DVD but white screen remains. Pressing C does nothing. Power off, again, spins and reads DVD but nothing on screen. Now how do I get that disk out? What happens now? Anything I can do inside this beast to get it to work?

cortech,

0

deanius
1

Credit card in the superdrive will get the disk out. I have the same problem with my 20" 2007 iMac. Chime, white screen, all drives spinning and powered, then nothing. The only keyboard shortcut that appears to be working is PRAM reset. I tried all of the above tricks and every other one I have been able to find. External monitors, known good RAM, new drive, new disks, 3 keyboards, target mode, and many, many more.

I finally gave up and took it to the Apple store. Three weeks later they told me it was the logic board. $435. I called Apple, emailed Tim Cook, dealt with Apple executive relations. They finally waived the labor at the store - $39 discount. woo-hoo. They refused to tell me the failure rate for this component or what rate qualifies as a known issue.

I'm looking for a "soldering iron" type solution now. I refuse to pay Apple's part-swappers $400 for what is probably a $2 capacitor fix.